Employer Problems

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VATECH

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm new the pharmacy tech profession. I have been a tech since May 09 and working part-time while getting my prereqs for pharmacy school and have just accepted a seat into a program so I will be starting this fall.

My current employer is an independent and is one of the most frustrating places to work. They are open 365 days a year (Holidays are always fun trying to find someone to work) and average about 350-400 a day but it can really vary from 150 - 700 depending on what time of the month it is. Techs do not get a scheduled break for lunch and you are doing something constantly during your shift. The owner thinks that because lunch is provided that you should be grateful. Usually we eat two or three bites...wait on customer....take some more bites....fill prescription....take some more bites...etc. until you are done or lunch is cold. Also the pay is something I question. I'm paid $9/hr with no benefits. We have about 6 techs working at a time but usually 3 of them are working with insurance, billing, orders, or "non-customer facing duties". I'm in a small community with little opportunity and I don't want to rock the boat more than I have to.

I'm really frustrated and I'm asking other forum readers what do you think about this situation and is it normal for techs or would you recommend a different approach? BTW, I really don't want to do a rotation here because of these problems!

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I'm new the pharmacy tech profession. I have been a tech since May 09 and working part-time while getting my prereqs for pharmacy school and have just accepted a seat into a program so I will be starting this fall.

My current employer is an independent and is one of the most frustrating places to work. They are open 365 days a year (Holidays are always fun trying to find someone to work) and average about 350-400 a day but it can really vary from 150 - 700 depending on what time of the month it is. Techs do not get a scheduled break for lunch and you are doing something constantly during your shift. The owner thinks that because lunch is provided that you should be grateful. Usually we eat two or three bites...wait on customer....take some more bites....fill prescription....take some more bites...etc. until you are done or lunch is cold. Also the pay is something I question. I'm paid $9/hr with no benefits. We have about 6 techs working at a time but usually 3 of them are working with insurance, billing, orders, or "non-customer facing duties". I'm in a small community with little opportunity and I don't want to rock the boat more than I have to.

I'm really frustrated and I'm asking other forum readers what do you think about this situation and is it normal for techs or would you recommend a different approach? BTW, I really don't want to do a rotation here because of these problems!

Thanks

What state do you live in? Did you look at your state labor law regarding meal and break period? If there is any violation, you can file a complant with the BOP and Labor Department.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think u can do much...well u can move to west Virginia .

yeah..you can either try and find a new job or quit. I might suggest not going to independent. They are the worst pharm to work for as a tech.

Care to elaborate greenman?

independent is owned by one individual that looks out for their own interests to make a profit. They will do anything to make a profit. If that means cutting breaks or getting rid of a tech because business is slow...so be it.

personally, i think CVS and walgreen is better because they have constant business because of their name. And even if a location has bad business or no business and is planning on shutting down, you can easily move a block or so to the same pharmacy chain store.

welcome to retail pharmacy

most busy stores operate exactly like yours. Lunch breaks are hard to come by.

I know this doesn't sound too comforting but I don't really think there is anything unique or extraordinarily harsh about those working conditions. Florida is an at-will state as well and every job I have ever had (non pharmacy related) was just as bad. When I was working as a cocktail waitress we would have a time to come in and NO time to get off we would just work until we weren't needed, which sometimes means a 10-12 hour shift. We could sneak off too the bathroom or sneak a few french fries off a plate here and there but that's it.

At least know that once you will be a pharmacist you will be getting paid much more and hopefully will have a 30 min-hour lunch or dinner break.

I know this doesn't sound too comforting but I don't really think there is anything unique or extraordinarily harsh about those working conditions. Florida is an at-will state as well and every job I have ever had (non pharmacy related) was just as bad. When I was working as a cocktail waitress we would have a time to come in and NO time to get off we would just work until we weren't needed, which sometimes means a 10-12 hour shift. We could sneak off too the bathroom or sneak a few french fries off a plate here and there but that's it.

At least know that once you will be a pharmacist you will be getting paid much more and hopefully will have a 30 min-hour lunch or dinner break.

I wonder how many pharmacists get an hour lunch... Hmm

Thanks for all the replies. I just can't believe that this is happening. I really thought that workers were protected under the law for breaks. Pharmacy is going to be a second career for me but I can't wait to get some new experiences (i.e. hospital and chain) to get some better ideas. I know one thing...with the volume that we do, the owner doing most of the scripts, and techs being paid under $12/hr and working non-stop...it makes one think about starting a store.

Thanks for all the replies. I just can't believe that this is happening. I really thought that workers were protected under the law for breaks. Pharmacy is going to be a second career for me but I can't wait to get some new experiences (i.e. hospital and chain) to get some better ideas. I know one thing...with the volume that we do, the owner doing most of the scripts, and techs being paid under $12/hr and working non-stop...it makes one think about starting a store.

you know...most tech are payed under 12 dollars (even in chain) so don't be disappointed about it. I mean they really don't have any disearnable skills unless you go to hospital side or compounding side. I mean how much skill does it take to count by 5's or take care of insurance problems.

also most companies (i know cvs does this) don't really give a lunch break to techs if their store is busy. Yes there is the federal govnt law that requires it but they can get away with allowing techs not to take one.