Employment from High School start date

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

s432000

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
If i started a job during my senior year of high school in November and kept it until August right before freshman year of college, should I put the start date as November, or do I need to adjust it to reflect post high school graduation?

Members don't see this ad.

To answer your question directly, you can say you started in November. The rule of not including high school activities is to prevent people from loading up their app with things they only did in high school and therefore stopped doing 4 years ago.

That being said, how much are you gaining from listing something that was a predominantly high school activity and that you didn’t participate in during college? I would try to emphasize more recent activities.

Reactions: 1 user
You can definitely be honest and put the real start date in. That said, some schools will discount your declared hours by the amount of time you did the activity while you were in high school. You can also break up the hours yourself (employed dates and hours in HS, employed dates and hours after HS) and ease the level of frustration of admissions professionals who have to do that calculation (and likely do it wrong against you... we're not all great at math either).

Reactions: 1 user