employment in hospitals

Started by doc227
This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

doc227

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
how hard is it for an optometrist to obtain a job in the hospital, and is employment guaranteed to graduates, as it is for med students?
 
most OD internships aren't in hospitals unless you work in a VA. So it doesn't work the same. I am doing a VA internship this summer, but that in no way guarantees me a spot to work there.
 
Originally posted by doc227
how hard is it for an optometrist to obtain a job in the hospital, and is employment guaranteed to graduates, as it is for med students?

Dear doc227,

I'm on the staff of a public hospital. I believe that your question is a bit confusing. I'll just confine my answer to optometrists.

Optometrists, in general, do not practice in hospitals. Most who do are in the outpatient departments of hospitals and enjoy no "privileges". Those who have some kind of privileges can order labs and imaging studies independently.

More if you would like to ask something more specifically or focused.

Thank your for your post.

Richard Hom, OD,FAAO
San Mateo, CA