employment opportunities after DO residency

Started by emt2doc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

emt2doc

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am considering DO medical schools along with MD schools, with my ultimate goal of doing surgery, maybe trauma, or neurosurgery. I know that both osteo and allo can do surgery residencies, and both can apply to the fellowships. My question is regarding future employment after residency. Most of the Level 1 trauma centers in my area are academic medical centers attached to allopathic medical schools. What is the likelihood for DOs to gain employment at these allopathic teaching medical centers? Is a DO in a specialized field of surgery (one that has academic/research involvement) most likely to work at one of the DO hospitals where they recieved their training or do they have the ability to work at the other aforementioned typed medical centers.

I know the DO/MD topic has been beat to death, but my concern is not arguing that one teaches different medicine than the other. My concern is whether I would be able to return and work at one of the hospitals in my area (there are no DO teaching hospitals in my area) or would I most likely have to work at an academically oriented hospital that trains DOs.

I understand that there are many other non affiliated hospitals available but was under the impression that fields such as neurosurgery are highly integrated with academics.

Thanks in advance.
 
Almost all job openings I have seen are based upon your board eligibility/certification not whether you are an MD/DO.

Based on your other thread in the osteopathic forum, it seems like you haven't really done your research on the DO profession/opportunities/drawbacks associated with it. I think it is a little-a lot premature for you to be considering what type of job you will applying for in a minimum of 10 years from now. Once you start your rotations (assuming you get into medical school) you may decide that you really don't like a major academic hospital environment. You might decide you really like community hospitals (which I have found have, on average, much better support staff) for one reason or another.

There are plenty of neurosurgeons working at community hospitals. Obviously trauma is linked to bigger institutions, but if you look at places like Cook County & others, there are DO surgeons on staff. Bottomline is that learning to inform/educate yourself is a huge part of this profession & you will feel better about your choices if you know what you are getting into.
 
I know several DOs who trained at academic allopathic residencies who are now on faculty.

Again, this is a pre-med and med student argument. While there are programs who are less likely to accept a DO as a resident, most are blind to this when it comes to faculty. Will there be some who might not want yo? Perhaps but if you've trained at good places, have a good reputation and CV, I think this would be far down on the list of things to worry about - especially as a pre-med who is anywhere from 4 to 9 years away from deciding on a career and even farther from job interviews.

And you are mistaken about neurosurgery jobs. It is indeed possible to do it, and any other specialty, outside of academics. Actually, it is the reason many hospitals are suffering - the neurosurgeons have left academics and its PITA call schedules, politics, etc. for private practice (there are other reasons as well).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks for the quick replies. I have done my research on DO schools and DO residencies, and while I had a general idea as to the answer of my question, the much smaller population of DOs compared to MDs in those specialties just left some questions. I just wanted to get the been there, done that (or seen that) perspective of attendings/residents on whether DO surgeons could work as faculty at allopathic institutions. Thanks to both of you, your insight is greatly appreciated.

Note: I copied and pasted this thread from my other post in the osteopathic section because I realized I was asking the wrong crowd for the type of answer I was seeking. I already know the way the age old DO v MD argument plays out.
 
Last edited: