Employment Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctorwavy

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi i am an anesthesiology attending that is licensed in a few states. i graduated from my residency in 2011. I am not board certified due to circumstances involving family issues including a newborn in the NICU and caring for a dependent terminally ill parent. My board eligibility is expiring this year. I plan to regain board eligibility by taking the BASIC. I want to continue working clinically as an anesthesiologist. Are there job opportunities and malpractice insurance coverage opportunities available for somebody who is no longer board eligible in anesthesiology? I may be board ineligible for up to a year (in accordance with dates available to take the BASIC). Please I am not looking for judgement but looking for information from others who may have been in a similar situation.

Members don't see this ad.

1. Work for a GI center, ASC or otherwise unscrupulous employer

2. Go Do a Fellowship (best choice)

3. Wait for your Board Eligibility to return

Members don't see this ad :)
Very confused. Aba gives u 7 years or till 2019 whatever is later to be board certified.

How can u lose ur board eligibility this year (2017)?

I read the aba handbook.

Attachments

• IMG_5013.PNG
    IMG_5013.PNG
    369.1 KB · Views: 78
As blade mentioned. Many outpatient gigs privately owned will still pay u $300-350k easy not board certified.

In fact many of these docs find a niche. And have careers 20-25 years easy. And work less.

Just have to be willing to be flexible and move on next gig if one gig doesn't pan out.

Lots of jobs for non boarded docs in outpatient.

Hi i am an anesthesiology attending that is licensed in a few states. i graduated from my residency in 2011. I am not board certified due to circumstances involving family issues including a newborn in the NICU and caring for a dependent terminally ill parent. My board eligibility is expiring this year. I plan to regain board eligibility by taking the BASIC. I want to continue working clinically as an anesthesiologist. Are there job opportunities and malpractice insurance coverage opportunities available for somebody who is no longer board eligible in anesthesiology? I may be board ineligible for up to a year (in accordance with dates available to take the BASIC). Please I am not looking for judgement but looking for information from others who may have been in a similar situation.

I think 20% of docs are not board certified. You can find a job. I know of one non board-certified doc working at an Academic Medical Center. It does limit your choices though.

1. Work for a GI center, ASC or otherwise unscrupulous employer

2. Go Do a Fellowship (best choice)

3. Wait for your Board Eligibility to return

How does board eligibility return? When does that occur?

How does board eligibility return? When does that occur?
Board eligibility returns by a couple of ways
1. Return to do an extra year of residency (making urself board eligible again)

The aba is constantly changing its criteria

In the past. If u failed EITHER ur written or oral boards 3 consecutive times, they would make u board INELIGIBLE. Trust me. Someone I knew pass the written easy. But failed the oral boards 3x. They lost their board eligibility.

Had to either do extra year residency or "pass the equivalent of the inservice/written exam". This was in 2005. So essentially they had to pass the written exam once just to become eligible. Than pass the written exam the next year (for credit). Than pass the oral exams

This was 2005.

Now I know they give u 7 years to pass the written and orla exams. U can pass the written exam first attempt and fail the oral exams 5 times and still have 6th and final opportunity to pass the oral. They don't make u go back all the way to inservice exam like in the past.

Board eligibility returns by a couple of ways
1. Return to do an extra year of residency (making urself board eligible again)

The aba is constantly changing its criteria

In the past. If u failed EITHER ur written or oral boards 3 consecutive times, they would make u board INELIGIBLE. Trust me. Someone I knew pass the written easy. But failed the oral boards 3x. They lost their board eligibility.

Had to either do extra year residency or "pass the equivalent of the inservice/written exam". This was in 2005. So essentially they had to pass the written exam once just to become eligible. Than pass the written exam the next year (for credit). Than pass the oral exams

This was 2005.

Now I know they give u 7 years to pass the written and orla exams. U can pass the written exam first attempt and fail the oral exams 5 times and still have 6th and final opportunity to pass the oral. They don't make u go back all the way to inservice exam like in the past.

Doesn't sound too hard.

The MOCA 2.0 crap is killing me. Hitting about 75% or so right on that. I didn't realize you had to do questions every year after they made the switch to 2.0 (thought I could just take the 10 year re-test like always), so now I have to continue to do questions to get my MDT score above .1 or so.

These constant changes are ridiculous.