Employment while fulfilling pharm prereqs

Started by BBSLM
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

B

BBSLM

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I already have a bachelors, but in order to go to pharmacy school I will need to complete the prereqs at a local community college.

There are two hospitals near the CC; one is a block away, the other is <5 minutes away by car.

I have no healthcare-related experience. Is there any job I would qualified for at one of these hospitals that would either

a. help to prepare me for pharmacy school
b. make me a stronger pharmacy school applicant

or is pharmacy tech the standard pre-pharmacy job?
 
You probably couldn't get a job at either, since hospitals like to see experience AND full-time AND long-term employment from their techs. However, either of those hospitals present awesome volunteer opportunities!!
 
thanks. kinda what I figured.

what kind of volunteering would I likely be doing?
 
thanks. kinda what I figured.

what kind of volunteering would I likely be doing?

Going to start at the gift shop or other ancillary position, since Pharmacy, ED, TCU, etc are all very in-demand and, at least in my hospital's network (of 5 total bay area hospitals) never let anyone jump right into the "good stuff" - Instead, they want to vet you, to make sure you're not lookin' for a quick fix of oxyCOTTINZ or something.

But when you list what you did for PharmCAS / at an interview, you can always omit the less desirable aspects, like any employment. In any role, hospital volunteership looks great.