Empty...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaptKirk

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Less than 5 weeks away from the end of third year clerkships. Psychiatry, much like most other clerkships is not at all enjoyable. I am completely out of steam. Gas tank is empty. I can't feign anymore enthusiasm; empathy as pretending to care isn't working anymore.

Anyone else just... out?

Members don't see this ad.

three weeks left, i like the last rotation tho. I got through most of the ones i hated early (psych). 5 weeks of psych is just too much, 2 is sufficient.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interesting that we're all on Psych right now!

After nailing the rotations that matter most for me (IM, Surgery, and Ophtho), I have VERY little motivation to work hard. I've turned into the biggest slacker. I come in late (only when it won't hurt me bigtime), look pretty disinterested all day, and don't volunteer to do jack unless it's required or will look REALLY bad if I don't.

All I can think about is my upcoming 10-day vacation in Cali and kicking off 4th year with an Ophtho rotation!

three weeks left, i like the last rotation tho. I got through most of the ones i hated early (psych). 5 weeks of psych is just too much, 2 is sufficient.

I know what you mean.

I tried to see if I could just get credit for the 18 years I spent with my family...because they are barking lunatics.

I'm doing psych too and I actually feel pretty strong right now. I'm fresh off of 6 weeks of primary care which for me was the chillest month and a half of third year. I am doing psych at a laid back place (as in NOT Kings County) and with the blue skies, shining sun and blooming flowers I am pretty happy with things right now. I can't think of a better way to end third year. Now don't get me wrong I have no intention of working hard for this, but I feel that I can have this attitude with psych and still learn somethinig meaningful; that and this is the first rotation where I feel like I will be showing up and learning new material without at all worrying or caring about an upcoming shelf, that feeling is something else.

. . . Psychiatry, much like most other clerkships is not at all enjoyable. I am completely out of steam. Gas tank is empty. I can't feign anymore enthusiasm; empathy as pretending to care isn't working anymore.

Anyone else just... out?

Wow. Usually psychiatry rotations are good because the attendings don't yell at you, (I had one psych. attending yell at me because I couldn't be running two groups at the same time, but then she chilled out when she realized her mistake i.e. that I can't be two places the same time). I think we all have a certain level of enthusiasm for all our rotations (otherwise why did we apply to med school, do two years basic science), but rotations suck when they accusse you of not being enthusiastic enough, (i.e. didn't watch the same baseball game as prof), not knowing enough (i.e. don't laugh at attendings lame jokes). Seriously, you have to learn how to have fun on rotations, even when attendings are mean and the rotation is starting to drag, someways to lighten up the load:

1. Ask attendings why did they go into psychiatry, listen to their story, put on solem face and say, "did you regret your decision?" at end of conversation. Then ask them same question three weeks later, claim you don't remember previous conversation, ask them again in same tone of voice, "do you regret your choice?"

2. Volunteer to bring in bagels for breakfast on Tuesday, when they ask you why say, "Tuesdays are always special for me, it was the day I first decided to . . . fill in blank with X"

3. Ask a psych resident if a patient's feelings about their feelings are important in their psychiatric treatment. Then tell them you were just kidding after resident tries to explain some complex emotional theory.

4. Eat a big lunch/brunch in a.m., come to rotation with empty brown paper bag and plastic wrapper and ask everyone, "Who ate my ham sandwhich?" Search high and low. Repeat every 2-3 days.

Man I finish up with OB. Next month is going to be painful :scared:

Few more weeks left.

Then suddenly you will be expected to know everything. :rolleyes:

Enjoy 4th year. Its very nice. :thumbup:

Oh...except for Step 2 CE, Step 2 PE, personal statements, interviews and the match. ;)

Yeah, I mean I feel kind of bad whining about it when I don't really have to do much. Today I got to place electrodes on the ECT patients... I've done like one psych intake the entire month... mostly because I just avoid doing them like a plague.

Expected to know everything? Ha, then I am screwed man... because many days, I don't even know the date or my own freakin' name anymore.

Haven't you guys heard? Not showing enthusiasm is unprofessional.

You'd better be careful....

Showing enthuasiasm is a relative thing, and especially hard, if not impossible for attendings to evaluate, especially if you are quiet. The only time I got not enthuasiastic enough it was per attending I didn't volunteer to see extra patients. Well, I didn't want to take more than my share, but I did do a whole extra-day! If they like you, then you have room to learn and do a good job, if they don't like you then you are in a lot of trouble as the same performance can be evaluated many different ways.

Ob/Gyn really depends on where you do it. If the faculty are on your same wavelength you will have a great time. But, if you unfortunately fall into a malignant ob/gyn rotations then you could potentially be harassed. The more professional ob/gyn attendings run *great* rotations, i.e. no one upset/abused/distraught, whereas more intimidating ob/gyns like to pick on a few students in each crop.

Med schools really should advertise to third years how wonderful fourth year and electives are, i.e. there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Just a couple weeks left so I am with ya buddy. My last rotation slot is scheduled as...

VACATION! WOO HOO! I'm glad I saved up my vacation till the end :) Need my reset period to gear up for all of those audition rotations (and to study for boards, does it ever truly end though?)

Best wishes to all the newly minted 4th years...

Gosh, a vacation does sound good about now....maybe to Cedar Point for some roller coaster action instead of cali though...

Less than 5 weeks away from the end of third year clerkships. Psychiatry, much like most other clerkships is not at all enjoyable. I am completely out of steam. Gas tank is empty. I can't feign anymore enthusiasm; empathy as pretending to care isn't working anymore.

Anyone else just... out?

My psych rotation got very interesting when I started bringing in cases to discuss with the residents and attendings. By the time we were done, I walked into the shelf and raked in Honors. Anything we hadn't seen, I had a case for. Got loads of little hints for our inhouse exam too.

You can always see how closely the patients match your classmates. That's usually good for a week or so. ;) The best part of my Psych rotation (I was assigned to the ward for the Criminally Insane) was absolutely knowing that I wasn't crazy. I saw loads of crazy and I didn't match any of them. :eek: