EMR for Private Practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vpsych

Reaction score
Hi everyone - can I get some input on recommended EMRs for outpatient? I’ve been using Luminello since I opened my practice last Spring. It’s wonderful on my end, but the billing is just not effective enough. We aren’t able to do batch billing and there’s a bunch of other aspects about that end making it too cumbersome. I’m in need of an EMR to support myself along with two other prescribers and six therapists.

Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

What are those aspects?
I'm solo, loving Luminello. Their group feature has opened up the idea I might consider expanding in years to come, and keep using Luminello.
Could you give a more refined break down of what is taking place and what the issue is/are?

Reactions: 1 user
I also use Luminello and have really liked it, but my patient panel is small and cash only so billing features do not matter much to me. I have noticed sometimes it declines valid credit cards and then goes through running the same card later which is a bit frustrating.

Members don't see this ad :)
What are those aspects?
I'm solo, loving Luminello. Their group feature has opened up the idea I might consider expanding in years to come, and keep using Luminello.
Could you give a more refined break down of what is taking place and what the issue is/are?
Other aspects such as adding a secondary insurance and especially managing multiple accounts. You have to open different browsers to keep user accounts separated, which is a pain for my practice manager and receptionist when it comes to chart management. It’s too bad we need to find a different EMR as I really like it for my psychiatry end.

So far the times I've added a secondary it hasn't been bad.

Are you sure you want to risk giving up a good clinical tool to enhance the front desk staff?

My assistant has 2 monitors, and simply uses the expanded screen space to multi task with email, luminello, google voice, insurance websites, etc. Could an extra monitor be a 'good enough' workaround?

Have you looked at Charm EMR? It might have the user breadth you want, but I bet you'll clinically miss luminello for your daily usage.

Probably Charm or PracticeFusion for group. Some people like OfficeAlly and Valant too.

Not sure why it's not talked about more, but I use and really like ICANotes. It is a behavioral health EMR founded by a psychiatrist. Been around a long time from what I gather. My favorite thing about it is the template style button click -> generate full sentences feature. It's really cut down on my documentation time. I can still generate my own dot phrases/type or dictate manually, but I can just as easily create a generic note that ticks all the boxes if I don't feel creative.

Not sure why it's not talked about more, but I use and really like ICANotes. It is a behavioral health EMR founded by a psychiatrist. Been around a long time from what I gather. My favorite thing about it is the template style button click -> generate full sentences feature. It's really cut down on my documentation time. I can still generate my own dot phrases/type or dictate manually, but I can just as easily create a generic note that ticks all the boxes if I don't feel creative.
Does it have prescription capability also? Thru whom?

Does it have prescription capability also? Thru whom?
Yes, Dr. First for like an additional $30? per month. I have used it. Its reasonably priced, easy for someone low technology or who doesn't need a lot of bells and whistles. I found it a bit clunky when processing payments and scheduling with multiple steps that could probably be streamlined but overall not bad.

Yes, Dr. First for like an additional $30? per month. I have used it. Its reasonably priced, easy for someone low technology or who doesn't need a lot of bells and whistles. I found it a bit clunky when processing payments and scheduling with multiple steps that could probably be streamlined but overall not bad.
Getting the token from Dr First is expensive

Getting the token from Dr First is expensive
Really, how much? I don’t recall having to pay anything. Maybe ICANotes included it? Most use push code through phone now.

Really, how much? I don’t recall having to pay anything. Maybe ICANotes included it? Most use push code through phone now.
Yeah you don't need a physical hard token for DrFirst, the Symantec VIP Access app works fine as your hard token if you've linked up ID.Me.

And you might as well do the later because the IRS will let you use that to secure your online account with them.

Reactions: 1 users
I use Office Ally cause I work with another practice although my main practice uses Practice Fusion. Both are good. Office Ally is cheaper but it' got incredibly small font that makes is somewhat more tedious. I'd rather pay the extra money for Practice Fusion.

There's one called KIPU I've used at an addiction clinic where I used to be the director. Kipu is terrible. IT's like working on an IBM PC before the Windows days and not in a good way cause I remember some people who were highly versed in MS-DOS and preferred that over Windows. Kipu is counter-intuitive, slow, and doesn't allow smartphrases.

Members don't see this ad :)
It’s less popular because it doesn’t have integrated eRx but I use simple practice and iPrescribe. Efficient, integrated website+patient portal which is very intuitive. It’s also nice that new patients don’t have to create an account to make fist appointment as compared to luminello. Another thing I like about SP+iP is that I can address all clinical issues (messages, scheduling, adding payment, sending scripts, etc) exclusively on my phone using the respective apps. So, helpful when away from a computer.

I’m a very efficient solo practitioner, so this might not be best for larger systems.

Last edited:
Yeah you don't need a physical hard token for DrFirst, the Symantec VIP Access app works fine as your hard token if you've linked up ID.Me.

And you might as well do the later because the IRS will let you use that to secure your online account with them.

Protip: If you switch phones, and move all of your data/apps, the Symantec app won't work. The new phone's Symantec app will have a different serial number than the one you started with.

Protip: If you switch phones, and move all of your data/apps, the Symantec app won't work. The new phone's Symantec app will have a different serial number than the one you started with.
Yes, you have to register the Symantec app on a new device before you transfer, but this isn't hard (did it recently).

Yes, you have to register the Symantec app on a new device before you transfer, but this isn't hard (did it recently).
This was really annoying because my phone broke recently and I had to get a new one. My old phone didn't work at all so I couldn't transfer it easily, but it is possible to do within 24-48 hours.

This was really annoying because my phone broke recently and I had to get a new one. My old phone didn't work at all so I couldn't transfer it easily, but it is possible to do within 24-48 hours.

I had the fun of having to transfer from one phone to another because my old phone stopped holding a charge. So I got to do all the transfer with basically a timer going. Still, not so bad, and DrFirst actually walked me through the whole process.

You can also request that DrFirst sends you a hard token when you set it up. I think that is worth doing in case your phone is lost or broken.

I use Office Ally cause I work with another practice although my main practice uses Practice Fusion. Both are good. Office Ally is cheaper but it' got incredibly small font that makes is somewhat more tedious. I'd rather pay the extra money for Practice Fusion.

There's one called KIPU I've used at an addiction clinic where I used to be the director. Kipu is terrible. IT's like working on an IBM PC before the Windows days and not in a good way cause I remember some people who were highly versed in MS-DOS and preferred that over Windows. Kipu is counter-intuitive, slow, and doesn't allow smartphrases.

I am about to start seeing patients in outpatient again, was wondering about this. I still us Practicefusion for prescribing but does anyone use it for charting?? It seems clunky when I tried it.

Hi, Looking to change from AdvancedMD for billing for PracticeFusion. Anyone have recommendations? PracticeSuite? What billing software are you using?

Anyone has had any experience with AnthenaHealth?
Thoughts? Concerns?

Thoughts? Concerns?
last time I looked athenahealth charges a % of the income you make as its monthly fee.

• Wow
Thoughts? Concerns?

I don't have any exposure to the billing side. The process to add insurance, upload cards etc. is reasonable. Note writing is fairly convenient, there is some box that hovers that I can't get rid of, but the flow is reasonable. I use a lot of custom templates and free text, not a lot of clicking options in our build. Sending lab orders/referrals/meds is pretty smooth. In our integration lab results don't flow back automatically, I'm having to look stuff up on Labcorp and upload PDFs which is not great. The patient messaging is unintelligible to me on my side and I'm not getting a lot of uptake on messaging that way, so seems like it is confusing on both ends.