EMRA Residency Specifics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EMSky

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!
A few months back when I was examining residencies I found a tool from EMRA that you could look up a program and it would give you certain details such as type of hospital the program was at, description of trauma involvement, and length of shifts. I have looked on the EMRA website but can not seem to find it again. Does anyone know what I am talking about and can direct me back to it? Thank You!

Members don't see this ad.

When you do find it, be careful because not all programs have been updated in a while. I know my program had some outdated info when I looked at it last year.

This is from SAEM. It's not everything you're looking for, but it's a start. As above, some of this info is out of date. http://www.saem.org/membership/services/residency-directory

Also, trauma really is one of the simplest parts of emergency medicine. It's easy. It's literally an algorithm that says if A then B....Any good EP can tell you that.

I intentionally picked a program with adequate but not the best trauma training because the medical patients are the sickest you can find and, of course, it was the best 'fit.'

Good luck in the match.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! This is helpful! I am looking in particular one that describes the type of shifts residents have. are they 12, 10, or 9 hours, and how many of each per week. There was place to find this but I can find it now!

Thanks! This is helpful! I am looking in particular one that describes the type of shifts residents have. are they 12, 10, or 9 hours, and how many of each per week. There was place to find this but I can find it now!
Keep in mind also that this is the sort of thing that can change at the drop of a hat, so while shift # and length is one way to help you choose a program it shouldn't be on the Top 10 list.

Keep in mind also that this is the sort of thing that can change at the drop of a hat, so while shift # and length is one way to help you choose a program it shouldn't be on the Top 10 list.

I disagree. When I interviewed, I had no idea the importance of shift length. When you work 12s, you just don't have time to read, workout, spend time with family, etc. I was lucky enough to love and match at a program that only does 12s on weekends. This is enough to make me appreciate the shorter shifts.

If I had to do it over, I would have placed some emphasis on going to a program that does not do 12s. Yes, it can change, but I think this would be the exception, not the rule.

FWIW, my (admittedly non-EM) program changed shift/call plans 3x during my intern year. Not the norm for sure, but not a guarantee. Of all the things that a program can change, this is the easiest.

If I had to do it over, I would have placed some emphasis on going to a program that does not do 12s. Yes, it can change, but I think this would be the exception, not the rule.

Similarly, I placed those programs with 12's at the bottom of my list (along with all 4-year programs).

Life is short.

Fox, how did you find which programs were 12s?

I know exactly what you are talking about. It used to be on the EMRA Match App, but they must have taken it down. On the old Match App, it had info on shifts, the percentage of people who went into community practice, how many people publish, etc..

I disagree. When I interviewed, I had no idea the importance of shift length. When you work 12s, you just don't have time to read, workout, spend time with family, etc. I was lucky enough to love and match at a program that only does 12s on weekends. This is enough to make me appreciate the shorter shifts.

that's a good point, 12's are rough. add in the drive time and finishing charts. that's an easy extra +1 hr or so in an already full day.
talk to residents, emails, shadow at programs and ask to see the schedule to get a feel. sure they all will say we do x number of 12, 8...etc but actually see it so you'll know if that's the kind of schedule you're willing to do

Similarly, I placed those programs with 12's at the bottom of my list (along with all 4-year programs).

Life is short.
Agree. 12's in Emergency Medicine are way too long. With the pace and intensity, and propensity to drag into the 13th hour, I think they are totally unnecessary, and border on punishing.

I worked a 12 last nite from 6pm - 6am.

I agreed to come in one hour early to help out a colleague who needed to make a flight.

I stayed one hour late to "do the right thing".

Boom. 14 hour shift, easy.

They have done away with the EMRA Match App. I contacted EMRA last month to ask if the information was still available and was told that it was mostly out of date and discarded. Perhaps they will have something in the future but I wouldn't count on it for this cycle.