emstudent.org -- resource i found useful

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EMbound

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi there. i've enjoyed all the information that is getting passed around on the EM threads. i wanted to pass along a resource to that i found informative as an MS-III planning to pursue an EM residency. other students could benefit from reading this book, "Rules of the Road", before making a decision about their career path and whether EM is right for them. not to mention that i am glad that i had a chance to check this out before hitting the interview trail in 10 months. this gave me a clear sense of what to expect and how to prepare in the meantime. it covers a lot of the controversies in EM, what to do as a student to get exposure to EM and to be a strong applicant, how to approach the Match.... a bunch of stuff. The book is on-line and put out by AAEM on their student website, and you do have to login to get access to the text but it's free. pretty cool.

Emergency Medicine: AAEM's Rules of the Road for Medical Students. The Guide for a Career in Emergency Medicine
http://www.emstudent.org/rules_road.shtml

check it out. my opinion is just one, and maybe others agree or disagree. i think this book is pretty comprehensive and as a guide very specific for EM, it complements things i got out of Iserson's book which was more broad and generalized.

have any of you currently interviewing seen this on-line book already and found it useful?

-EMbound

Members don't see this ad.

I've seen the AAEM book, and it is pretty comprehensive. It is very similar to its predecessor released from EMRA

"Emergency Medicine - The Medical Student Survival Guide". I liked it because it is free with your EMRA/ACEP membership!!
I like it these types of guides because when you read a chapter on a specific topic, the author's credentials show him/her to be a leader in that field.

I agree with Coleman. I read this AEEM guide after I read the EMRA guide (which i think is far more comprehensive).

The best thing I can say is to read the EMRA guide before you apply.

Of course... I just watch Star Wars, Episode 2 just now... 3rd time I've seen it (but think this time i was watching it with Maker's
Mark by my side), and I still can't figure out why Count Dookue separated from the Republic. If anyone can tell me, please do.
Q

Members don't see this ad :)
I know Quinn, I've seen Episode II more than a few times now, and I don't get it either. Dookoo obviously knew he was with the dark side because he hung out with the Emperor, but I never understood why yoda didn't see this coming? I know the dark side "clouds the truth" but that is a big miss. Maybe the Emperor had a great health benefits plan w/housing costs and a new lightsaber or PDA if Dookoo switched sides.

personally, i thought the Rules of the Road book by AAEM was much more comprehensive.... although both books are clearly useful sources of information.

-EMbound