EMT And GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

realitybias

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just realized that I had 9 hours of EMT A+ grades from some old classes that I took at a cc. I know most questions about community colleges are about people haunted by their past. However, this is obviously beneficial to me, but how beneficial? Will these grades really be used in my final GPA? And will it improve my med school admissions odds by raising my GPA?

Or are they overlooked and generally left out?

Members don't see this ad.

It'll bump up your overall GPA slightly- just like any other gen ed class. Don't expect them to bow down and kiss your feet because you got an A in it. Remember the textbook is written at a 4th grade reading level.....so chances are good they won't even notice it anymore than they would a class on the history of cheese, etc.

-DKM, Your Friendly Neighborhood Former EMS Instructor

It won't be anything special, but I got a B in mine, not knowing it would count in my GPA. That was a bit of a downer, but in your case, it'll help (and it's required to enter it anyways).

Members don't see this ad :)
It'll bump up your overall GPA slightly- just like any other gen ed class. Don't expect them to bow down and kiss your feet because you got an A in it. Remember the textbook is written at a 4th grade reading level.....so chances are good they won't even notice it anymore than they would a class on the history of cheese, etc.

Yeah, I know. I was certainly not under the impression that they would bow down and kiss my feet over it. But I can always use the GPA boost, after all :).

ok a bit confused...i thought emt classes were over 140 hrs or so lol...9hrs o_O...anyhow...i'm going to be an incoming freshmen and i was wondering whether all the classes i took in community college actually count in my transcript when applying to med school meaning to my gpa? so even the cc classes that my undergrad school doesn;t take credit for counts? and if my school covers first semester grades...aaa does it still compute to gpa when applying to med school? thank you so much...wow...so many naive questions but plz lol =D thanks!

ok a bit confused...i thought emt classes were over 140 hrs or so lol...9hrs o_O...anyhow...i'm going to be an incoming freshmen and i was wondering whether all the classes i took in community college actually count in my transcript when applying to med school meaning to my gpa? so even the cc classes that my undergrad school doesn;t take credit for counts? and if my school covers first semester grades...aaa does it still compute to gpa when applying to med school? thank you so much...wow...so many naive questions but plz lol =D thanks!
Anything at the college level counts. So do well in all of your classes.

Well for starters, he means 9 credit hours. So 9 credits. In terms of research conversion, 9 credit is about 30 hours a week of work for 1 semester. As yo u can see, this is around the 140 hours you were referring to.

When applying through the AMCAS, it requires you to submit all of your college level transcripts. So yes, your community college courses all count towards your AMCAS. Of course, the admission committees will recognize them as such, so they're really pretty irrelevent.

Well, see, reason I'm so happy is that these 9 hours will push me from bellow 3.7 GPA to above 3.7 GPA, in case a few universities have steep cutoffs for out of state grads.

i thought 140 hrs or so is around 5 credits? confused =( srry...so just to clarify again, even local cc classes that my undergrad doesn;t take credits for still counts for my amcas gpa?
srry for the annoying naive questions =(

i thought 140 hrs or so is around 5 credits? confused =( srry...so just to clarify again, even local cc classes that my undergrad doesn;t take credits for still counts for my amcas gpa?
140 hours would normally be equivalent to 8 credits, but it was only 4 credits for me.

So I just realized that I had 9 hours of EMT A+ grades from some old classes that I took at a cc. I know most questions about community colleges are about people haunted by their past. However, this is obviously beneficial to me, but how beneficial? Will these grades really be used in my final GPA? And will it improve my med school admissions odds by raising my GPA?

Or are they overlooked and generally left out?

You know what will help your application even more? Hop in an ambulance and get some field experience.

You know what will help your application even more? Hop in an ambulance and get some field experience.

Some better opportunities came up and I never really got a chance to get my certification, but I still am glad that I had the chance to take the classes and get my CPR/First Aid certification.

just for the correct information, most EMT-B texts are written at the 8th grade level. If you took courses at the CC I am sure you can request proof of it and submit it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I received my certification at age 17, so therefore I did not include my grades in the AMCAS GPA calculation. However, I will say if you have a decent amount of time running ambulance then you have an excellent clinical exposure to include in the activities section. I was asked a lot about my various clinical experiences in interviews. GPA matters but experience/exposure matters a LOT also.;) Best of luck!

I received my certification at age 17, so therefore I did not include my grades in the AMCAS GPA calculation.
You were supposed to. All college classes, regardless of when you take them, go into your AMCAS GPA. I know because I did horribly in a couple of cc classes I took as a sophomore in high school, as well as my EMT. Both factored in to my GPA.

It's because of the clinical hours bringing it up to about 150 hrs in most states. For most programs you are not given credits for the clinical hours because of the variability that may exist due to some students requiring additional hours to gain requisite patient contacts (or simply opting in to do additional hours as frequently happened where I was an instructor and preceptor).

just for the correct information, most EMT-B texts are written at the 8th grade level. If you took courses at the CC I am sure you can request proof of it and submit it.

As you said "most". It depends on the textbook and what standard you are judging it by (federal standard for reading level vs. state standard...there is a difference in some states). There was a push several years back to "dumb down" EMS education because too many students were failing the EMT-Basic course.....if you would like more on this, I would recommend going to the forums at http://www.fieldmedics.com/forum/ and posting a question asking about it..

And by the way, I didn't take it at a community college (I took it as a non-credit course at a 4 year school because I did not feel like paying for the credits), but I did help teach at one as well as two hospital based programs.

There was a push several years back to "dumb down" EMS education because too many students were failing the EMT-Basic course.....
I agree with this. I took my EMT back in 1989 (yes, I'm that old) and was flipping through a current EMT textbook and was completely shocked at the contents and writing style.

Then agian, I'm sure all of you will regale the young in 20 years about how back in your day, you did breaths with your Red Cross CPR chest compressions, and they'll bleat appreciatively...

Wait I thought that EMT class is just to get your certification...?

The EMT class that I took was just a pass/fail deal...I mean, while it was considered some credit hours (9-10)..we never actually got a grade in it. We're told that if we WANT a certificate, we need to pass the 80 mark to get certified.

I didn't know that was actually counted in your GPA...someone please chime in..!!:eek:

It depends on the course- the 80% could be the score required by the program to grant you the approval to sit for your NREMT exams; at least this is how it worked at our program- if you scored below an 80% on any of your tests in the course or on the final you were not allowed to sit for the registry, although the CC based one issued grades as well).

It could be referring to the score to pass the NREMT written itself (which I believe is 80%, although it's been several years since I've taken it and the state where I taught did not utilize it for anything other than reciprocity).

If your course is pass/fail, then OBVIOUSLY it would not affect your GPA. The NREMT is separate from your class grade (at least at every program I am aware of) and would (also OBVIOUSLY) not affect your grade or GPA...

I agree with this. I took my EMT back in 1989 (yes, I'm that old) and was flipping through a current EMT textbook and was completely shocked at the contents and writing style.

Then agian, I'm sure all of you will regale the young in 20 years about how back in your day, you did breaths with your Red Cross CPR chest compressions, and they'll bleat appreciatively...
Personally I am all for increasing the educational standards and requiring prerequisites (math, A+P, and a couple of other things) before allowing people to enter EMT courses, but this will not happen any time soon.

Personally I am all for increasing the educational standards and requiring prerequisites (math, A+P, and a couple of other things) before allowing people to enter EMT courses, but this will not happen any time soon.
Agreed. When I took it, we were required to have A&P and a medical terminology class under our belt before enrolling in the EMT class. I can't imagine using up a bulk of the 140 hours going over "The shin bone's connected to the..."

I can't imagine using up a bulk of the 140 hours going over "The shin bone's connected to the..."

You'd be amazed the number of students that wash out after the A+P exam at many programs. Or maybe you wouldn't..... :laugh: How little anatomy is actually taught is troubling, especially given the number of people who seem to struggle with it.

Personally I am all for increasing the educational standards and requiring prerequisites (math, A+P, and a couple of other things) before allowing people to enter EMT courses.

As always, I think you're giving the EMT certification too much credit. What happens when you increase the standards? More people fail, many whom may seek careers in EMS. Many services are already struggling to find members. Would increasing the course load or passing score have any correlation on the care a patient would receive? Do you think more of what is learned in EMS happens in the classroom and certain standards are not currently being met?

There is a lot more to the level that the current standards are at. There are lots of people with much more experience debating this all the time. Did you see the recent attempt at changing the "Scope of Practice Model"? It was a solid exercise in futility. Politics, consensus, and compromise always play a role. EMS is really a trade, not a profession, like say respiratory therapy.

Another example by Dr. Bledsoe on the new scope of practice:
"Perhaps the biggest disappointment in this document is the fact that there's no mandate for paramedics to hold a degree or for paramedic programs to be college-based. In a sell-out to the big fire departments, certificate programs for paramedics will be allowed. This will allow traveling paramedic programs to continue to crank out graduates and to provide a never-ending supply of eager paramedics willing to work for $8 an hour."

Sorry to say, I've been to the Field Medics forum and most of them are just as clueless about EMS as the next guy. They just complain about it more.

NREMT passing score is 70%, some states certify/license below that, such as 68%.