Emt-b question!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mgitms786

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am freaking out because I did not know that my classes that I took at a community college counted towards my AMCAS GPA.

I took EMT-B at a community college for 8 credits and got a B. This brings my cGPA from a 3.65 to a 3.61.

Does this count for a science GPA?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Fire Science. But isn't that a huge drop in my GPA! I probably am not even going to be the least bit competetive anymore...even for like DO schools.

...with a 3.61? you're fine -_-

Fire Science. But isn't that a huge drop in my GPA! I probably am not even going to be the least bit competetive anymore...even for like DO schools.

Seriously, you're stressing over 0.04 GPA points? Calm down. The last sentence is unequivocally false.

It's a bummer, but I don't think it's too big of a deal either. It would be more concerning if it had dropped you from say a 3.53 to a 3.49...........which would look a lot worse from a 'perceptions' perspective. Also, I'd be positive and consider that having your EMT-B adds something to your application. Lastly, regarding DO admissions, a 3.61 cGPA is still pretty competitive. As long as you have a 28-29+ MCAT and say "osteopathy" 10x at your interview, you'll likely get in. Good luck with all of this.

It's a bummer, but I don't think it's too big of a deal either. It would be more concerning if it had dropped you from say a 3.53 to a 3.49...........which would look a lot worse from a 'perceptions' perspective. Also, I'd be positive and consider that having your EMT-B adds something to your application. Lastly, regarding DO admissions, a 3.61 cGPA is still pretty competitive. As long as you have a 28-29+ MCAT and say "osteopathy" 10x at your interview, you'll likely get in. Good luck with all of this.

Regarding DO admissions? He said "AMCAS" which means he's applying MD, and a 3.61 is still perfectly fine for MD as long as you have all the other components to go with it.

also, taking the hit from 3.65 to 3.61 is probably a fine trade-off for showing adcoms you took an EMT-B course for clinical exp.

It does not count as science. I forget what I listed it as, but I think it was Phys Ed or something like that.

Also, 3.61 is fine, I applied and got in with that no problem.