EMT-b, Useful for med appl?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ZZiNo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I was just wondering, does an EMT-b license and experience with it, look good on a med school resume?

And I was wondering how one could actually get the license, while still attending full time studies.

Is it a long and expensive course?

Any help would be great, thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Do a quick hunt on the search for EMT. There are literally dozens of threads answering your questions and a lot more.

ZZiNo said:
Hey guys, I was just wondering, does an EMT-b license and experience with it, look good on a med school resume?

And I was wondering how one could actually get the license, while still attending full time studies.

You'll get varying opinions on this. Do a search and you'll see. A lot of people say that adcoms will see right through it as you're trying to pad your app.

I would say do it if your enthusiastic about it, not if you're just doing it for your application.

Members don't see this ad :)
ZZiNo said:

My emt-b class is 2 days a week (630pm-1000pm) for 6 months. My course was $775 including the textbook, but not including the stethoscope, bp cuff, pen light, and a few other pieces of equipment (which comes to about $35).

The things you learn in emt school is not difficult. Much of it is common sense once learn a few basic protocols. However, depending on your instructor, he may quiz you every class which means you have to do the readings. These readings are not hard, but they do take some time out of your schedule.

Emt classes usually require a certain amount of clinical experience as part of your training in addition to the time spent in the class room. This is not much (~16 hours), but it can be a bit of a burden if your taking on a large course load.

Classes vary from state to state. Make sure your register for an emt-b original course instead of a emt-b refresher course. These classes are much shorter and may be tempting to take,but you will not learn as much and may be behind most of the class.

ADeadLois said:
I would say do it if your enthusiastic about it, not if you're just doing it for your application.

Here here! I couldn't agree with you more!