EMT-Basic Vs. Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rivsuace

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been an EMT - Basic for over 2.5 years and have worked in for a 911 private company that services both larger cities and smaller towns for over 1.5 years. However, I am a college student and the first summer essentially worked there full time and then during the school year would work one shift a month to keep my job because I go to school 2 hours away and play on a very competitive and time consuming sports team. This past summer I did not work full time but more so part time/per diem because of studying for the MCAT (I should have worked more). I am doing a gap year and currently am applying to countless Research Technician/Assistant/Associate I/III (depending on the hospital/company for job title) for my gap year. I am also in the process of proposing a research project to do my last semester of college (now). I have no lab research experience (besides school labs) and was wondering if I should focus more on the research or EMT. I really enjoy EMT and the hands on clinical experience, the actual ability to do something then and now. Overall I really like EMS and I really want to get more EMT expericence and get more of the "Good/Fun calls" but I also see the importance of medical research and the value. If I am able to do both (which I am really trying to do) is their one that you would say is more important or since I am using my EMT card in an 911 company that is excellent. Thank you for your help and advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Do whatever makes you happy. Don't try to participate in activities just to check off boxes.

Ps. There is pretty much a 0% chance you will get hired out of school with no real lab experience.

do you need research experience or patient exposure?

sounds like you already have 2.5 years of patient exposure, I'd suggest doing the research.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's why I applied to positions that were meant for recent undergraduate graduates

That's why I applied to positions that were meant for recent undergraduate graduates

I did the same thing and never got a call.

Ironically, the job I did get, they sought me out... I never applied to them, but they found my profile on careerbuilder because of my Spanish and history with science.

do you need research experience or patient exposure?

sounds like you already have 2.5 years of patient exposure, I'd suggest doing the research.

I would like both, more patient exposure as well as research experience

I did the same thing and never got a call.

Ironically, the job I did get, they sought me out... I never applied to them, but they found my profile on careerbuilder because of my Spanish and history with science.
I do have some minor experience and once I get my independent research up and running this semester I will have more complex experience. But I definitely want to do both, doing which will include many sleepless nights but I am more than ok with that

don't overdo it. if you want continued patient contact, volunteer in a clinic once a week or something.

You have lots of patient exposure.

The reality is twofold: some schools aren't big into research (although the majority of matriculants at the majority of schools have research experience); however, if you are thinking of applying to some of the higher-tiered schools, you need research. Some get in without research, but they have outstanding applications all things aside.

You want patient exposure? Volunteer at a clinic once a week, or significantly die down your hours of EMS work to make it manageable with sports and research. Depending on how you apply, you'll get tons more EMT experience during the gap year you spend after having to reapply with no science background. It's not black and white, and there are applicants with no research, but why would you take yourself out of that running? Be well-rounded.

Maybe try to get into a lab at a your uni (maybe move there if it's too far to commute). With no lab experience, good luck trying to get into companies. It's certainly possible, but definitely more difficult.

The reality is twofold: some schools aren't big into research (although the majority of matriculants at the majority of schools have research experience); however, if you are thinking of applying to some of the higher-tiered schools, you need research. Some get in without research, but they have outstanding applications all things aside.

You want patient exposure? Volunteer at a clinic once a week, or significantly die down your hours of EMS work to make it manageable with sports and research. Depending on how you apply, you'll get tons more EMT experience during the gap year you spend after having to reapply with no science background. It's not black and white, and there are applicants with no research, but why would you take yourself out of that running? Be well-rounded.

Maybe try to get into a lab at a your uni (maybe move there if it's too far to commute). With no lab experience, good luck trying to get into companies. It's certainly possible, but definitely more difficult.
All this is for during my gap year. If I do get a research job they probably would't have me start until around June. So I would do a lot of EMT before then (after graduation) and then do both I guess

All this is for during my gap year. If I do get a research job they probably would't have me start until around June. So I would do a lot of EMT before then (after graduation) and then do both I guess

Whatever choice you make, research should be in there in some way, shape, or form.

What do you mean do some at my college? I have taken many labs for credit and am currently working on and independent research proposal to do this semester.

What do you mean do some at my college? I have taken many labs for credit and am currently working on and independent research proposal to do this semester.

I meant find a PI and join their lab.