Emt Certification

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lizt

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

lizt said:
I got my EMT-B certification, and I really would like to use it either volunteering or working. However, I have been having a tough time finding a place to do this. The ambulance companies around me at home are all commercial, and I don't think they would hire me for the summer.
Do hospitals ever hire or let EMT's volunteer there? Does anyone at UConn undergrad (or anywhere else) know where one can work/ volunteer on campus?
Thanks!

To my knowledge, demand for EMTs in CT is small. It's just not a "high-risk" area.

Can't speak specifically CT. But have you tried looking for part-time ER work? Sometimes they hire EMTs to do some triage and ER assisting stuff. Go to the hospital's HR dept and ask to see a list of the open positions. Or, I guess you could go the hopsital's websites and do the same thing.

lizt said:
I have my EMT-B certification, and I really would like to use it either volunteering or working. However, I have been having a tough time finding a place to do this. The ambulance companies around me at home are all commercial, and I don't think they would hire me for the summer.
Do hospitals ever hire or let EMT's volunteer there? Does anyone at UConn undergrad (or anywhere else) know where one can work/ volunteer on campus?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
From what I hear fire & rescue will generally let you ride along on a volunteer basis.

find a volunteer rescue squad, i've been with mine for 3 years

:)

lizt said:
I have my EMT-B certification, and I really would like to use it either volunteering or working. However, I have been having a tough time finding a place to do this. The ambulance companies around me at home are all commercial, and I don't think they would hire me for the summer.
Thanks!

lizt -
The University of Hartford has an active on campus EMS club, check their web site.
Same with Trinity.
However being the middle of the Summer I don't know how much you could get done.
If you volunteer at a hospital you won't be able to use the cert b/c of liability reasons.
See if you could volunteer with the Amer Red Cross out of Farmington by the Med School. You may be able to assist there. (?)
Good Luck.
~~BA,RRT,NREMT-P

lizt said:
Thanks!

I can't speak for CT, since I'm from NY. But at least in my area, when you fill out applications for being a part time employee and explain to who ever is in charge of scheduling that you're a student, they're usually pretty good about giving you shifts that work around your classes. They might not be keen to hire just for the summer, but you can try it. If you think you're able to work one shift a week, and don't mind giving up a Friday or Saturday night, volunteer to take it- it's one of the harder shifts to fill. Then, when summer rolls around, and everybody takes "sick days" on the nicest days of the summer, you'll be getting lots of calls to fill in shifts.

lizt said:
Thanks!

1. Work full-time this summer and part time during the school year at a private ambulance service in your area.
2. Do the same for a private ambulance service outside of your area.
3. Volunteer for an ambulance service.
4. Work as a tech in the ER in a hospital.
5. Work at school on the first aid team for intramurals, sporting event standbys, or other public events.

DropkickMurphy said:
National Collegiate EMS Foundation- www.ncemsf.org

According to their database (http://www.ncemsf.org/resources/database/showstate.ems), the following schools in CT have volunteer EMS groups:
-Trinity College
-University of New Haven
-Wesleyan University
-Yale University

I may be mistaken, but don't you have to be a member of the university to voly in their EMS system. If not, then this would be the route to pursue. Volys get to do medical emergencies all the time (as opposed to private companies who primarily do transports).

I don't know about CT, but in NYC, hospitals typically want ER techs to have ECG and Phlebotomy before working. Maybe something to look into.