EMT Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gnin

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What sort of training do you need to become an EMT or an assistant to an EMT, and what time commmitment is involved (ie, does it need to be a fulltime job, or can you just sdo it for a few hours per week?)

Members don't see this ad.

gnin said:
What sort of training do you need to become an EMT or an assistant to an EMT, and what time commmitment is involved (ie, does it need to be a fulltime job, or can you just sdo it for a few hours per week?)

It depends on what type of squad you join. However, the training is extensive...to get an EMT-Basic certification will usually take at least 3 months unless you do one of those really expensive 3-week courses that meet for 8 hours a day. It also depends on where you live. For example, in North Carolina where I'm certified, it's 169 hours of lecture time, not including clinical time (mandatory shifts you must do at the Emergency Department or riding along with a local squad). EMT-Intermediate certification takes much longer and requires vastly more clinical time, but it's so much cooler. Either way, it's a big commitment so I would recommend not taking the class unless you can actually immerse yourself in a job for a while. Hope this helps.

gnin said:

To become an EMT you need to do a state approved training program that is usuaully about 120-140 hours long. You also need to pass the national or state certification exam. Check with colleges and universities in your area about the course. As an EMT you can work either full-time or part-time, although, in my experience, most EMTs work part-time, usually for private ambulance companies and mainly doing patient transports. You can also work as a volunteer EMT and many colleges and universities have university EMS services. For example, MIT has an all student EMS service with student EMTs and Paramedics. There is really no such thing as an EMT assistant. The next level below an EMT is a First Responder which involves training in CPR/AED and basic first aid. Many police and firemen are first responders. It also requires a class, but of a considerably shorter duration.

Members don't see this ad :)
PineappleGirl, what is the difference between the national registry test and the state test?

I start my class on the 19th. It's like 160 hours, twice a week for three months and three 9 hour Saturdays. I am also required to be 'BLS for the Healthcare Provider' certified, which I take on the 15th...Got the material today. Much to my surprise, I'm required to read the entire textbook and take a 6 page quiz prior to the class. Ouch.

so i just got CPR/AED training last night....what can i now do as a "first responder"....is this an actual job if you're not a police/fireman?

the national registry covers i think 48 states and in those states you have to pass the national registry test to get your license. In mass and in florida you have to take the state test to get your license.

for working part time or full time it depends on where you live. I work for a 911 service that runs around 4200 calls a year and we run als trucks with a medic and an emt. If the call is considered life threaten we have other emt's and medic that also assist on the call so i get a lot of experence that way. We also have a first responder unit at FSU that help out at events.

C.P. Jones said:
so i just got CPR/AED training last night....what can i now do as a "first responder"....is this an actual job if you're not a police/fireman?
CPR/AED training in one night is NOT the same as a first responder class. In Colorado, the FR class is an 80 hour class with an additional 8 hours in the ER and 16 hours in an ambulance, certified by the DOT (interesting, eh?). In some areas of Colorado a FR can function as a driver (and ONLY driver) of an ambulance (I'm pretty sure that's how the statute is written). However, in most cases a FR certification is meant as a certification for folks like state troopers, cops, firefighters, etc. to be exactly that - a first responding unit to a problem to do the most basic of care (but nothing invasive like IV lines) until more qualified help arrives.

My EMT class was actually pretty easy to work into my schedule (complete with full courseload at school, RA job, and hospital volunteering). It met from 6-9 twice a week (I think it was Sunday and Wednesday). A guy at my (small) school put the whole thing together, got financial aid and the instructor to teach us right on campus and everything. I'd eat dinner during class, so there's some multi-tasking right there, and compared to college work the actual academics of it were not very hard. The class went from October through March, with time off for school breaks. The National Registry Exam was kind of scary, but we were all prepared and I passed! I can't wait to starting working on an ambulance this fall!

Don't be one of those lame-wads who gets EMT certification and then never works on an ambulance. I'm not saying that you will, but plenty of people do.

SanDiegoSOD said:
Don't be one of those lame-wads who gets EMT certification and then never works on an ambulance. I'm not saying that you will, but plenty of people do.
yeah, that's gotta look pretty lame to an adcom.

N1DERL& said:
PineappleGirl, what is the difference between the national registry test and the state test?

Some states do not accept the national registration, for example MA. Most states, however, do.

TheProwler said:
yeah, that's gotta look pretty lame to an adcom.

Judging from a lot of MDapplicants profiles, I'd say that's fairly common.

PineappleGirl said:
Judging from a lot of MDapplicants profiles, I'd say that's fairly common.
it's not a quick thing to do though - it's got more classtime than any other course I've taken. It was fun, sure, and no, it's not hard as college courses go, but still.....these people also probably paid for it out of pocket, which is like $500.

I'm not sure if this is available everywhere, but I took the EMT-B course through ROP and it was less than $50. Pretty cheap, compared to $500. Yikes!

PineappleGirl, is there a benefit between taking the national registry over the state test? I've heard that the national registry is harder and just more widely accepted. Is that it?

Thanks!

N1DERL& said:
I'm not sure if this is available everywhere, but I took the EMT-B course through ROP and it was less than $50. Pretty cheap, compared to $500. Yikes!

PineappleGirl, is there a benefit between taking the national registry over the state test? I've heard that the national registry is harder and just more widely accepted. Is that it?

Thanks!
The National Registry is accepted in many states and some (at least Ohio, where I'm from) use the National Registry as their test. In order to become certified in Ohio you have to pass the Registry and then you can apply for certification in the state. I don't know for sure how many states operate this way but I suspect many do. the registry isn't a breeze but it's not too difficult either.