Emt Question?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wanabedoc19

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do you get yor EMT? How long will it take? Can you take 6:00p.m. classes for EMT or summer classes?

Members don't see this ad.

You take an EMT class. If you pass, you're permitted to take a practical exam and written exam, which is given by either your state (in some cases) or a "national" exam given through a testing center.

It's impossible for us to tell you if you can take a 6:00pm class for your EMT, or a summer course, since we've no idea where you live. My class ran one semester, and was from 6:00pm-10:00pm twice a week, and 3 long Saturday classes. You can ask around at any community college nearby, or perhaps even at your university or college. It's generally around $400-900.

There are a certain number of instruction hours required to get an EMT certification. With that said, schedules vary and so it depends on where you take the class. I am a strong proponent of the community college route because the classes are usually cheaper. Like the other post said, the class is usually a semester and has some fees associated with it. The national registry is now required for all those who want the EMT certification. The national registry is an exam that is separate from the one you will take in class and it can be difficult. It involves both a written and practical portion and so it requires you to be proficient in more than just the classroom stuff. I enjoyed my EMT class and I had a blast working on an ambulance. Good luck.