EMT Sponsorship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wildseed

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there,
I have my EMT(W) (Emergency Medical Technician with a Wilderness emphasis) because I guide backpacking trips in the summer. I think this is a marketable aspect for when I apply and so I am trying to use a little wisdom in trying to determine what affiliation I should gain a sponsorship with. I would prefer to take a sponsorship with the local Search And Rescue unit however I am wondering if a sponsorship with an ambulance company, the Red Cross, or a fire dept. would be more beneficial when it comes time to apply. Any insight, especially from those who have gone one path or the other, would be entirely appreciated. Merry Christmas everybody - and hey, make sure to enjoy life and not stress out to much.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! Well I also have an EMT license and I figured it would be to my benefit to work on the ambulances. However, I realized that I only obtained the EMT certification with realization that it would make me a more competitive applicant. I discovered that inter-facility transport is utterly boring and I found other ways to make myself a distinguished applicant. I personally found much more enjoyment in doing research for my professor and volunteering in the emergency department at UCSF. My advice is to make sure you enjoy what you are doing. If you are passionate about being an EMT, then you will have something to talk about during your interviews. I talked to someone on the UC Davis interview panel and he was also an EMT prior to attending med school and he said it made him stand out. So if you like what you are doing, then go for it. I hope this helps.