EMT then PA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ocean09

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Right now, I'm a sophomore in college, and I want to be a PA one day. Anyway, I'm making a plan on how to get accepted to PA programs in the future. As you know, most PA programs require you to have 2,000 hours (I think) of clinical experiences---hand on with patients. Therefore, I'm thinking of getting an EMT certificate. I can work as an EMT through out my Junior and Senior year of college then apply to PA programs..Do you think that will be a good idea? I want to apply after my senior year in college. I don't want to wait for 2 or 3 years later to apply...

Do you think an EMT certificate is good enough? I mean, do PA programs require more challenging clinical experiences?

Thanks in advance for any reply!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

Right now, I'm a sophomore in college, and I want to be a PA one day. Anyway, I'm making a plan on how to get accepted to PA programs in the future. As you know, most PA programs require you to have 2,000 hours (I think) of clinical experiences---hand on with patients. Therefore, I'm thinking of getting an EMT certificate. I can work as an EMT through out my Junior and Senior year of college then apply to PA programs..Do you think that will be a good idea? I want to apply after my senior year in college. I don't want to wait for 2 or 3 years later to apply...

Do you think an EMT certificate is good enough? I mean, do PA programs require more challenging clinical experiences?

Thanks in advance for any reply!

emt would be great for most programs. a few want training at the level of paramedic/rn/rt but for the most part a few yrs of emt will work almost anywhere.
a few resources:
www.aapa.org for a general pa site
www.physicianassistant.net for a pa specific forum
www.appap.org for info on optional pa postgrad rtesidencies
www.sempa.org for info on em pa's

Members don't see this ad :)
EMTP is a paramedic. Most states have three levels of EMT and I will use Texas to illustrate.

1st step: EMT-B (Basic)- usually takes anywhere from a few weeks to a few months to get your certificate. They are allowed to drive the ambulance, transport patients, apply splints, give O2, glucose and a few other medications, as well as a few other skills.

2nd step: EMT-I (Intermediate)- Usually takes another semester or two to qualify. In texas you add IV skills, intubation and some more medications and a few other skills.

3rd step: EMT-P (Paramedic)- This has now gone to an associate's degree. This is the level where you take on everything from massive trauma to an MI.

There is some variation from state to state and EMEDPA can correct me wherever I've gone wrong.

As for the RT, that is a respiratory therapist.

-Mike

Ocean09,

You asked a question in this thread that I find relevant. Then I checked your post history. And I smell troll.