EMT training course over break on Long Island/EC's over break?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedmind

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was looking to do an accelerated EMT training program for this coming break, on Long Island...

If there is no info on this....what else are worthwhile things to do EC-wise over the holiday break? I have from like Dec 15 to early-mid January I believe.

Members don't see this ad.

Have you applied already, or is that sometime in the future?

Applied to med school? No..I'm a sophomore in college.

Applied to the EMT program? No...that's why I'm asking, I am looking for one to apply to.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're planning on working as an EMT later on, then go for it. If you're only planning on doing it over Christmas, then I'm not sure if it's feasible. Can you find very short-term employment as an EMT-B in your area?

An EMT certification without clinical exposure is about as impressive as an honor society membership.

If you're planning on working as an EMT later on, then go for it. If you're only planning on doing it over Christmas, then I'm not sure if it's feasible. Can you find very short-term employment as an EMT-B in your area?

An EMT certification without clinical exposure is about as impressive as an honor society membership.

Of course, if that's the case, I wouldn't bother applying, but I am sure they will give me some kind of exposure..

I found a place to apply in my area online, it's on the American Medical Response site, they require a resume? I didn't realize you had to be "accepted " into the program first.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but i do not think you are going to find one to fit that time period and that short. There are abbreviated courses over summer, but the shortest i've ever heard of an EMT original on long island is 6 weeks, and those are generally only around in summer. are you in suffolk or nassau? the suffolk county EMS website usually has a listing of all courses being offered in suffolk county. I know a lot of 6 month courses are offered starting in Jan. where do you go to school? You might be able to join a volunteer agenecy and ride a lot for the month you are home, ride whenever you come home on breaks, and they might sponsor you to take a course over summer break. If you don't want to give too much identifying info on the thread you can PM me, but just let me know what area you live in, because i have a lot of experience with EMS on long island.

[/b]

Of course, if that's the case, I wouldn't bother applying, but I am sure they will give me some kind of exposure..

I found a place to apply in my area online, it's on the American Medical Response site, they require a resume? I didn't realize you had to be "accepted " into the program first.

AMR is a private company. On long island they mainly do transports to and from dialysis, some emergencies out of nursing homes. They do some 911 in other areas, including their brooklyn base. You apply to them when you already have a certification. AMR long island is based in suffolk county but does about 95% of their work in nassau county. THey hire brand new emts so you can usually start there right after getting your card, but you don't see much emergency with them. The head of operations is a really nice, intelligent man, great paramedic and really supportive of pre-meds, but i didn't really enjoy it as a place to work.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but i do not think you are going to find one to fit that time period and that short. There are abbreviated courses over summer, but the shortest i've ever heard of an EMT original on long island is 6 weeks, and those are generally only around in summer. are you in suffolk or nassau? the suffolk county EMS website usually has a listing of all courses being offered in suffolk county. I know a lot of 6 month courses are offered starting in Jan. where do you go to school? You might be able to join a volunteer agenecy and ride a lot for the month you are home, ride whenever you come home on breaks, and they might sponsor you to take a course over summer break. If you don't want to give too much identifying info on the thread you can PM me, but just let me know what area you live in, because i have a lot of experience with EMS on long island.

I'm in Nassau, the course doesn't have to be over a 2 week span because I am going to school in the immediate area anyway, so I can just commute back and forth to the classes when need be over the 6 month span, and by summer I will have a certification.

If you can list some courses starting after Dec 15th I would greatly appreciate it.

Shameless bump?? Anybody know of any programs? Like I said, they don't neccesarily need to be over the Christmas break, they can go on into the spring as well.

Also, what is everyone doing over the christmas break as far as EC-type stuff? Anything special? Just curious..

hey sorry i never saw that you posted agian on this...try going to the suffolk and nassau county emergency medical services websites, i know suffolk's has a list of courses available througout the county coming up, i'm sure nassau does too. Search suffolk REMSCO in google. Join a volunteer company! In nassau they work a little differently, but depending where you live the EMS only agencies are the best to join rather than EMS in a fire dept. Wantaugh-Levittown volunteer ambulance co is a really fun group. If you're in a district where fire and ems are connected it's a little tougher, unless you're in amittyville, the ems people there are really fun too.

Shameless bump?? Anybody know of any programs? Like I said, they don't neccesarily need to be over the Christmas break, they can go on into the spring as well.

Also, what is everyone doing over the christmas break as far as EC-type stuff? Anything special? Just curious..
It's all about looking in the right place.
SDN would be an example of the wrong place to look.
NY's Department of Health or Office of Emergency Medical Service website would be an example of the right place to look.

[/b]

Don't be so sure. There's no clinical hours requirements for an EMT-B where I'm from, and I believe that's true of most places. It's likely that you won't receive any substantive clinical exposure as part of your class.

Don't be so sure. There's no clinical hours requirements for an EMT-B where I'm from, and I believe that's true of most places. It's likely that you won't receive any substantive clinical exposure as part of your class.
NJ requires 10 clinical hours.

Ten hours isn't substantial by a long shot. What I'm saying is if you put in the time and effort to get an EMT-B, make sure you can use your license afterwards. An EMT-B by itself isn't worth much.

I know people who work part-time during the school year. I'd suggest that instead of working over a break, if that's what you're thinking about doing.

Ten hours of clinical time here in California too. I honestly don't see why anyone would take the EMT-B class just to have the card and never use it. There's much easier ways of getting 10 hours of clinical time in than doing an EMT class. I would not recommend doing this unless you plan to use your EMT card to work.