EMT Training Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SpideyMD

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I want to be an EMT. So, classes are from August-December (during my final semester of college). I'm planning on taking the MCAT in April and applying in may.

So, the classes end in December, but there is an "internship" part of it that lasts 3-6 months after the classes (Depending on schedule). I was wondering, would the "internship" part, count as clinical experience and/or volunteering, given I'm learning and going through this to volunteer?

I'm afraid I won't get any hours into volunteering as an EMT before I submit my app. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

As long as you work with real patients and use your EMT skills during the internship experience I’d consider that clinical for sure.

As long as you work with real patients and use your EMT skills during the internship experience I’d consider that clinical for sure.
It just wouldn't be listed as volunteer then ?

Members don't see this ad :)
My EMT facilitated all of my clinical hours, volunteer and paid. I volunteered with a local volunteer fire department(~90% of the calls fire departments run are medical emergencies). It also allowed me to work as an ED tech. And as an EMT on an ambulance.

If you live in a rural or suburb, check for a VFD; they’ll likely pay for the EMT class or at least give you an EMR cert. if you run calls with them. It’s excellent experience because is immersive and it gives you some appreciation for prehospital providers, something a lot of people lack.

Reactions: 1 user
My EMT facilitated all of my clinical hours, volunteer and paid. I volunteered with a local volunteer fire department(~90% of the calls fire departments run are medical emergencies). It also allowed me to work as an ED tech. And as an EMT on an ambulance.

If you live in a rural or suburb, check for a VFD; they’ll likely pay for the EMT class or at least give you an EMR cert. if you run calls with them. It’s excellent experience because is immersive and it gives you some appreciation for prehospital providers, something a lot of people lack.
Yes, I should have been more specific but I wrote this late at night lol. I'm actually doing it through a VFD, just the training sounds so long! I just was wondering if the internship was considered clinical volunteering is all. Thank you :)

I’m an EMT. I think it depends on what capacity you would be operating under. I’ve never heard of internships for EMT classes, is that like a ride along thing? What does that entail and what is your role in it? Because if you are doing this internship without having yet passed the NREMT/completed necessary state licensure to operate as an EMT, it might be hard to classify that as clinical volunteering
I think it's a ride-along thing where you watch them work so that you can learn what its like on a real gig? This is actually after all the certifications! I'm starting to think it would count but still not entirely sure. Thanks :)