Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

emt vs. ect

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by sendwich, Jun 13, 2002.

1. sendwich

sendwich you rock!
    10+ Year Member

it seems like most of everyone in here has gotten experience as emt (if any in the ER). but i was wondering why haven't i heard of anyone with experience as an ect? which one gives more patient contact experience? is there a particular reason why you dont hear many students (specifically undergrads) with ect experience?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. ellerose

ellerose Member
    7+ Year Member

Okay, I have to claim ignorance. What is an ECT?

4. CareRx

CareRx Member
    7+ Year Member

Electroconvulsive Therapy, more commonly known as "ECT," is a medical treatment performed only by highly skilled health professionals--including doctors and nurses--under the direct supervision of a psychiatrist, who is a medical doctor trained in diagnosing and treating mental illnesses.
    <a href="http://www.psych.org/public_info/ect~1.cfm" target="_blank">http://www.psych.org/public_info/ect~1.cfm</a>

5. silvercholla

silvercholla Smarter than the avg bear
    7+ Year Member

I think the reason is because a lot of people don't really know about ect. I didn't until you posted this topic.

6. pocwana

pocwana MD/MBA candidate c/o 2008
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    ECT is also an acronym for Emergency Care Technician. That's an EMT that works in an ER.
    From the EMT's I've talked to that work both out in the field and in the ER, the pay is MUCH better in the ER (i.e. $7-9 in the field vs. $11+ in the ER) but you're at the bottom of the totem pole. You end up cleaning bed bans and transporting patients around the hospital.