EMT vs scribe

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pwrliftr

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been looking at different forums about being a scribe vs an EMT. The one key thing I noticed was that the hospital you worked in has an impact on what kind of experience you will have as a scribe because some scribes get to do more than other scribes based on people's personal experiences.

As a pre-med student, how valuable is being a scribe in terms of experience and medical school applications? Currently, I am really busy with classes, soon to be volunteering at my new school, studying to become a CPT, training for a powerlifting competition, and a bit of work on the side. I do not see myself going down the EMT route due to the fact that I have to complete a certification that I simply do not have time for.

Also any tips for maximizing my experience as a scribe because I want to get the most out of my time with the docs, patients, and in the hospital?

Members don't see this ad.

They're probably the same in terms of how much "impact" they'll have on your med school app. If you don't have the time to be an EMT, then don't.

If you can, try to directly scribe for a physician instead of through an organization like ScribeAmerica. This will allow for you to build a real relationship with your doctor and see the ins and outs of a specific field. Students usually enjoy this much more and building a relationship with a physician means you'll be able to get a LOR from them down the line. Downside to this is that it'll require for you to be a lot more proactive in finding a position.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Reactions: 1 user
To echo above, if you can scribe for one physician or a small practice, as opposed to an organization, then do that. That said, I'd say the majority of scribe jobs available right now are through organizations. I'd take any safe clinical experience you can get right now.

You're right: the value of scribing is dependent on where you are and who you work with. I work in a relatively small ER, not a Level I Trauma Center, and find that I have a much closer relationship with doctors and get to see more because of it. I have peers who scribe in trauma centers and never really get to see anything because teaching med students/residents/fellows always comes first (as it should). How much you see will also be dependent on how much you can work.

My $0.02: EMT is better hands-on patient contact obviously, but scribing is better insight into what a doctor does. If you choose to scribe, I suggest you spend a few months getting very good at your job, then find a nice doc who you trust and ask them all of your questions. If you end up working somewhere like an ER where you may be working with several physicians, you'll get a feel for who you can talk to and who you should just chart for. In my experience, if you're open to learning, there are always people willing to teach. Don't be afraid to ask stupid questions to the right person at the right time.

Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions about scribing! Good luck :)

Members don't see this ad :)
They're probably the same in terms of how much "impact" they'll have on your med school app. If you don't have the time to be an EMT, then don't.

If you can, try to directly scribe for a physician instead of through an organization like ScribeAmerica. This will allow for you to build a real relationship with your doctor and see the ins and outs of a specific field. Students usually enjoy this much more and building a relationship with a physician means you'll be able to get a LOR from them down the line. Downside to this is that it'll require for you to be a lot more proactive in finding a position.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors
Ironically I applied for a scribe position through scribe America. Unfortunately, I do not know of any doctors who would allow me to scribe for them. I have asked a few but those doctors kindly declined saying that their insurance does not allow for them to have untrained students in the room while receiving patient care.
Would you have any recommendations on how to find a specific physician and scribing for him of her? Maybe I could go through scribe America, do the required training, and then meeting a physician on the job site?

To echo above, if you can scribe for one physician or a small practice, as opposed to an organization, then do that. That said, I'd say the majority of scribe jobs available right now are through organizations. I'd take any safe clinical experience you can get right now.

You're right: the value of scribing is dependent on where you are and who you work with. I work in a relatively small ER, not a Level I Trauma Center, and find that I have a much closer relationship with doctors and get to see more because of it. I have peers who scribe in trauma centers and never really get to see anything because teaching med students/residents/fellows always comes first (as it should). How much you see will also be dependent on how much you can work.

My $0.02: EMT is better hands-on patient contact obviously, but scribing is better insight into what a doctor does. If you choose to scribe, I suggest you spend a few months getting very good at your job, then find a nice doc who you trust and ask them all of your questions. If you end up working somewhere like an ER where you may be working with several physicians, you'll get a feel for who you can talk to and who you should just chart for. In my experience, if you're open to learning, there are always people willing to teach. Don't be afraid to ask stupid questions to the right person at the right time.

Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions about scribing! Good luck :)
Thanks for the input. As of right now, I just "applied" to scribeamerica because I need to start somewhere. I do not know anyone who I can personally ask to scribe for so this is the best way for me to start. I do not know of any small organizations that would be hiring scribes in my area.

I would do EMT. Patient interaction is way higher.

Reactions: 1 users