EMT - worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

orangeman25

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How good does being an EMT look on your application? Based on how much effort you have to put into it, do you think it's worth it?

I know you do really neat things as an EMT. Medicine is a whole different language and I'm sure being exposed to that will be helpful

Members don't see this ad.

I'm finding it very helpful just to get a small taste of what it's like to be responsible for a patient. It's pretty fun, too. Makes for some good stories.

I wouldn't say it's unique anymore, but it certainly is a plus.

Reactions: 1 users
It is worth it ONLY if you plan to use the certification. So if you are serious about obtaining your EMT-B, make sure there are either volunteer ambulance corps around you (or if you have a campus EMS) that would take you or a job that would be willing to hire a college student. Call around first, see what's available in your area. Some companies may even pay for the EMT course if you plan to continue on to volunteer with them.
If you can find a good place, I would say go for it.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I am an EMT, and I LOVE it. I did a year of volunteer EMS, but I also used it to get a job as a Clinical Tech in a major hospital on the Colorectal Surgery floor, and now I am about to start in the CICU. (A plus is that you make more than a part-time job at a place like Starbucks.) I have had a ton of experience talking to doctors and residents. I have loved getting to know patients, and seeing real world problems made schooling less stressful. I am a night shifter, and I believe understanding that you have to be able to work at all hours of the day is critical. I met a surgery resident once who HATED it because of the night shift. She said that if she knew it would be like this, she would have gone the teaching route.

You see a lot of really cool stuff, and it will help you decide if this is right for you. HOWEVER, it will not look good if your grades plummet. Only do it if you feel you have the time and will not sacrifice your academic achievement in the process.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Reactions: 1 user
If the only reason you're doing it is to boost your resume, you should find some other EC. EMS is a career for many people, and it isn't something you should do if your heart isn't in it. And I'm not sure where singergirl is working, but most EMTs make around $9-10/hour. I know servers who make much more than that waiting tables... In terms of "really neat things", EMTs are limited to basic life support, which is pretty much advanced first aid. The actual procedural stuff you're probably thinking of is reserved for paramedics. But I love my job, and no matter how many degrees I get, or what jobs I hold, I'll always be a paramedic. If you want to see if EMS would really be a good fit for you, I encourage you to ask a local agency if you can ride along for a shift or two and see what it's about. That's a pretty good way to gauge your interest. It's not for everyone, but it can be rewarding if you're dedicated!

It might not be unique but I've gained a ton from my time working as an EMT and it's definitely going to be a big part of my application. Today I transported a 40yo pt who was just diagnosed with cancer and given a few months to live. The job really puts things in perspective and makes you appreciate what a privilege life is. Looking out the back window of the ambulance as we sat in traffic, watching lemmings talking on their cell phones and mindlessly living out their lives, meanwhile this guy sitting next to me is in the double digits of days left to experience Earth, and he's likely going to spend a big chunk of that time sitting in a hospital bed. It made me think, I need to stay in the medical field because if I do anything else I'll lose that acute appreciation for how amazing it is to be alive.

In my experience it's not even so much the "neat things we do" that are worthwhile. The clinical side of being an EMT tends to be anticlimactic. They aren't breathing? Push some narcan. Cool! Now they're awake and pissed off at you for ruining their high. Shrug. Whenever you successfully use an intervention of some sort, it kind of feels like "meh, I was just doing my job".

The most memorable experiences for me center more around interacting with patients, and making them feel like they're still part of the human race and not defined by their disease. Maybe I'm weird, but I really enjoy talking to the family before we transport a cardiac arrest and just letting them know what's going on, what we've been doing, what the prognosis is, what hospital we're going to, etc. It feels good to be a positive force for people going through difficult times.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
It depends if you don't have the time for certifications and don't want to go through potentially years* (correct me if i'm wrong) it just seems like a burden. There are other ways you can be involved with the well-being of patients as a volunteer under the doctor who trusts you and is comfortable with the way you are. If you explore it, have the time for it, and passionate about it, do it and it'll look great. But don't just do it because it looks good because there are always other ways you can do something that looks because you actually enjoy it.

edit: Can someone please clarify how long it takes to become an EMT?

It depends if you don't have the time for certifications and don't want to go through potentially years* (correct me if i'm wrong) it just seems like a burden. There are other ways you can be involved with the well-being of patients as a volunteer under the doctor who trusts you and is comfortable with the way you are. If you explore it, have the time for it, and passionate about it, do it and it'll look great. But don't just do it because it looks good because there are always other ways you can do something that looks because you actually enjoy it.

edit: Can someone please clarify how long it takes to become an EMT?
EMT classes can take anywhere from a couple of weeks to a few months, depending on how often they meet. They're generally around 140 hours in length...

To get your EMT basic its a month or two long course if I remember correctly. Or you can pack in with an immersion program. I've enjoyed my EMT experiences and definitely look forward to more, but agree with other people that it's probably not the end all be all of medical experiences (like I had hoped it would be) but then again that's why I'm applying to medical school. It whets your appetite with out satiating you.

Thanks for all the feedback! It sounds like those of you that are EMTs have found meaning and insight from what you do.

While being an EMT-B isn't all that unique anymore, most applicants who've done it only put in a couple hundred hrs at most.

If you're willing to commit to it long term (working 1 shift a week for 2yrs = >1200hrs) or put in the extra time to get EMT-I certified, you'll have a great EC (incl tons of clinical experience) that few pre-meds can match.

Be sure to check your areas market out. I was certified, but no one was hiring. And when a spot opened there were hundreds of applicants.