EMT worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

streetlight

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I have the opportunity to take an EMT class during our 1 month break in January, get fully certified, and then be able to work on the EMS truck from that point forward. It sounds pretty cool, but does anyone know more about this? Is it going to be worth the time I put in during my January free session and the time spent during the term riding the truck? Or am I better off finding something better to do with my January. How do med schools look at EMT - it seems kind of cliche?

Thanks in advance for all your help

Members don't see this ad.

First of all, if you're just going to become an EMT to make you look like a better applicant, don't do it. If you want to be an EMT and you think you would enjoy it, go for it! Becoming an EMT is one of the best decisions I've made. Whether or no you'll enjoy it depends entirely on you and where you'd work. For example, I work both on campus and off campus doing all 911. My friend from my EMT class does a first aid station on campus (pretty much they give out bandaids) and does interfacility transfers off campus and she doesn't like it so much. If this is something you want to do, go for it...but don't do it just to boost your application. No one benefits from it, remember you are treating real, live patients, with real live problems. They won't care if you just want to boost your application, they want someone to fix them!

I totally agree with the above. I volunteer as an EMT in Virginia Beach, which is an all-volunteer system. I love it and will continue even after (hopefully) I get into med school. Don't do it just to boost your application, you'll be miserable. I've seen someone who came in just to get the app boost and they were kinda dangerous on the box, definitely not cut out for the pre-hospital emergency setting. It's not for everyone. Do it if you'll enjoy emergency medicine, otherwise spend the time elsewhere.

Members don't see this ad :)
i suppose i should restate it in a different way. i completely agree that it shouldnt be done as a app booster. however, i think it's fair to know how it ranks with other activities. i am early in my undergrad career where i have lots of choices of things i would LOVE to do. unfortunately, time doesnt allow me to do all of these things. so in choosing the few things that i will pursue with a passion on campus for the next few years, becoming an EMT is definately a choice and i could see myself becoming a very involved and excited member of the EMS staff at my school.

i just would like to know how it is looked upon by the med schools, not because i necessarily would be doing it just to boost my app, but so i could pick from the activities i'd love doing in a way that could best set me up to get in?

i'm not sure if that sounds any worse or better, but that's just how it is for me.

I was an EMT on campus for about 3 years, and it was definitely the most rewarding experience I had in college. In my application, the important part wasn't so much that I was an EMT, but rather that I devoted a lot of time to it. Med schools are not nearly as interested in what you do, as they are in how well you do it. I know a lot of EMTs who love what they do. I definitely went into thinking of it as an application booster, but I came out of it with some really good experience. I agree that you should pick something that you really like and focus on it, if you think being an EMT is the thing for you, then do it. But go big or go home.

As the OPs say, being an EMT requires dedication, team work, and skill. All of which are things med schools like to see. Dont think that it is like it is on tv though. The best skill I learned was prob just learning how to be a compassionate listener and improving my bed side manner (def love driving the ambulance and responding to trauma too of course). However do it if you want to do it. Also, EMT cert in a month is going to be insane. Most courses are a semester long or so and require lots of clinicals. Good luck

Make sure you like the people in the squad and can devote enough time to get to know them. I've know plenty of people who joined my ambulance squad and quit because they didn't enjoy it. It'd be a huge waste of everyone's time if you go for it and end up letting the license go to waste.

I agree with what everyone above has said. There has been nothing I've done that I've been more glad I did than become an EMT. I love my first aid squads (yes, two of them!). I originally joined when i was 17 because I wanted to get a feel for the medical field and whether or not I could cope with the pressure and the responsibility and the *gasp* interacting with people I didnt know. What I got out of it was so much more than I could possibly have dreamed of.

If you're really dedicated to becoming a volunteer and staying involved over the next few years, I say go for it!

...and it doesnt hurt I got a kick ass recommendation from my lieutenant and plenty of stories for the interviews :laugh:

I totally agree with the above. I volunteer as an EMT in Virginia Beach, which is an all-volunteer system. I love it and will continue even after (hopefully) I get into med school. Don't do it just to boost your application, you'll be miserable. I've seen someone who came in just to get the app boost and they were kinda dangerous on the box, definitely not cut out for the pre-hospital emergency setting. It's not for everyone. Do it if you'll enjoy emergency medicine, otherwise spend the time elsewhere.

I'm in the VA Beach area and I'm looking for a course. I called the volunteer fire dept. in my area and they said they would contact me as soon as they got enough names to start a course. Where did you take your course? How much was it?

make sure the people on the squad are people you can get along with. otherwise forget it.

There are A LOT of premeds are EMTs, but lack hands-on experience. Med schools look for in-depth experiences.

I only became an EMT to help me get into med school.

Here is a bunch of reasons why it's not worth it:

1. The pay.
2. You are liable for things. I hate, hate, HATE seeing an accident I haven't heard called out on dispatch while I've got someone in the back. It's almost like a legal trap.
3. The bureaucracy can be a pain in the ass.
4. The pay.
5. Anytime I've seen a patient (I like to call them 'clients') in a bar or something they harass me about the bill they got.
6. Seriously, the pay. I could not live and work full time. I do it part time just so I can have a higher paying job (I live in CA though).

On the other hand, there are good things:

1. It's fun as hell when you get a good call, sometimes you'll actually feel like you saved a life.
2. My opinion is that if you really hate the job itself then you probably won't like being a doctor, which it would be nice to know before you waste 4 years and $200k.
3. Knowledgibly pointing out mistakes actors playing EMTs/medics make is annoying to those around you.
4. Chicks dig the uniform.
5. If you don't have any gay friends you will.
6. Sometimes you won't get a call and can just go to your partners house and play xbox.
7. If you don't get into med school then you'll be along the way to becoming a medic (most, not all, medic programs require at least 6 months as a basic EMT) or firefighter.

To summarize, EMT is a good job that pays nothing and is surrounded by a lot of crap. If this sounds unappetizing you can always volunteer places, then you'll be able to work less, but still get the experience/app cred. I personally would not do it long term, only as a weigh station on the way to M.D./medic/firefighter.

I have interviewed at 4 places so far, and have 2 left. Every school so far has asked me questions about my EMT experience during the interview. I think they are interested in it. Go for it.

I'm in the VA Beach area and I'm looking for a course. I called the volunteer fire dept. in my area and they said they would contact me as soon as they got enough names to start a course. Where did you take your course? How much was it?

why did you ask "how much"? you have to pay for the training?