EMTs/PARAMEDICs ROCK!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yalepa99

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a PA in the Emergency Room of a little tiny 23 bed hospital in northwest WI, and let me tell you, I couldn't move HALF as fast as I do without the EMTs. They do IV's, transfer patients off the stretchers without even asking for help, convince that drunk at 3AM they don't need to have their bruise looked at, do scut work with NO ONE asking them to, and quiz me on medical things that I have no idea about!

Prehospital medicine is a completely different world and you guys are awesome in my opinion. I was an EMT through college before PA school, and it was the most fun! I'm going to vet school in the fall, but somewhere in the interim, I plan on taking that damn EMT class (and the dredid National Registry exam!) again, so I can do what you do.

Thanks for your hard work, from an ER provider that truly values your work,

Brad

Members don't see this ad.

yalepa99 said:
I'm a PA in the Emergency Room of a little tiny 23 bed hospital in northwest WI, and let me tell you, I couldn't move HALF as fast as I do without the EMTs. They do IV's, transfer patients off the stretchers without even asking for help, convince that drunk at 3AM they don't need to have their bruise looked at, do scut work with NO ONE asking them to, and quiz me on medical things that I have no idea about!

Prehospital medicine is a completely different world and you guys are awesome in my opinion. I was an EMT through college before PA school, and it was the most fun! I'm going to vet school in the fall, but somewhere in the interim, I plan on taking that damn EMT class (and the dredid National Registry exam!) again, so I can do what you do.

Thanks for your hard work, from an ER provider that truly values your work,

Brad

I don't think you need to retake the class of 120 hours...that's kinda long! Just do a recert class...its a piece of cake.

I've forgotten so much about prehospital medicine though. It would probably be funny to watch me apply HARE traction or a KED board! And the EMT class in WI has gone through so many changes since I was done in 1997, I think I'd just do the whole thing, so I didn't look like a goof out there in the field. :rolleyes:

I can do an incredible amount of things as a PA in the ER (and my backup doc lives a half hour away, so its just me and an RN), and I have a Master's Degree in Medical Science from Yale, but the EMTs roll their eyes when they watch me try to remember the right way to log roll someone without giving the patient abrasions from the straps on the longboard!!

Members don't see this ad :)
yalepa99 said:
but the EMTs roll their eyes when they watch me try to remember the right way to log roll someone without giving the patient abrasions from the straps on the longboard!!

Q: Which way should you roll a puking patient? (My student)

A: Away from me, pref. towards a firefighter. (My medic)

yalepa99 said:
I've forgotten so much about prehospital medicine though. It would probably be funny to watch me apply HARE traction or a KED board! And the EMT class in WI has gone through so many changes since I was done in 1997, I think I'd just do the whole thing, so I didn't look like a goof out there in the field. :rolleyes:

I can do an incredible amount of things as a PA in the ER (and my backup doc lives a half hour away, so its just me and an RN), and I have a Master's Degree in Medical Science from Yale, but the EMTs roll their eyes when they watch me try to remember the right way to log roll someone without giving the patient abrasions from the straps on the longboard!!

KED:
My
Baby
Looks
Hot
Tonight
=============
Middle torso strap
Bottom " "
Legs
Head
Top torso strap
:thumbup:

canjosh said:
KED:
My
Baby
Looks
Hot
Tonight
=============
Middle torso strap
Bottom " "
Legs
Head
Top torso strap

Huh. I sortof remember that acronym, but I thought the head was always supposed to be done last? Jeez, guess that shows how often we actually use the KED...

fiznat said:
Huh. I sortof remember that acronym, but I thought the head was always supposed to be done last? Jeez, guess that shows how often we actually use the KED...

I have only used the KED for spinal protocols a couple of times, but it makes a great splint for hip fx's.

greytmedic said:
I have only used the KED for spinal protocols a couple of times, but it makes a great splint for hip fx's.
I'm a fanof it for imobilzing kidos before putting the whole KED on the backboard. The KED fits em real well, we used it on a 4yo who fell out the window two stories.

yalepa99, Thanks for the kind words.

In my 10 months as an EMT I have come across some of the nicest, most professsional, and trustworthy people I have ever met. What continually shocks me is how little money we work for. Some people truly love this work and keep with it for quite awhile. Unfortunately, manuy are also forced to leave for higher paying jobs.

Let me give kudos to all of you EMT's(and paramedics) who go to work everyday, for such little reimbusement, and give 110% for your patients.

EMT WORK ROCKS!

canjosh said:
KED:
My
Baby
Looks
Hot
Tonight
=============
Middle torso strap
Bottom " "
Legs
Head
Top torso strap

I haven't heard that in 10 years!!!! oh, memories.

later

Since were talking memories and years and stuff...I thought I felt like I was getting older because I'm a doctor now and started in EMS in 1993, but last month one of the medics I used to work with sent me a run report on a patient because he wanted to know what I thought....and when I looked at the bottom to see who ran the call, it was a paramedic that I knew....back when I was his instructor in EMT school about 6 years ago....ha ha.

I feel old now.

Vince, D.O., NREMTP

time sure does fly. as for the KED...that whole acronym for the order to put the straps in Virginia I know has been wiped out. the only thing they told us was that the head goes last whatever you do. the straps can be put on in whatever order