enameloplasty?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mlle

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys, in your experience/education, have you come across the risk of sensitization of tooth following enameloplasty? The dentist I'm shadowing offered to do it for me since I'm missing my lateral incisors - he will shape my canines. I'm just wondering if this might drive into the dentin and cause problems for me later on.

thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

mlle said:
hey guys, in your experience/education, have you come across the risk of sensitization of tooth following enameloplasty? The dentist I'm shadowing offered to do it for me since I'm missing my lateral incisors - he will shape my canines. I'm just wondering if this might drive into the dentin and cause problems for me later on.

thanks.

If you take a periapical radiograph of the tooth, you would be able to see the thickness of enamel prior to the layer of dentin. This would probably help you feel better.

so do you think it's better if the dentist sees a periapical before he does it or will it be fine without that insight?

thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
mlle said:

thanks.

a canine is regarded as a cornerstone of occlusion. i would be very hesitant to shave it down to a lateral because you might end up with some screwed up excursive movements resulting in some interferences and possible TMD, headaches, muscle soreness. Although if they are located where your laterals should be, they might not affect your occlusion much and your premolars might be serving that function. Make sure he isn't going to compromise function for esthetics.

scalpel2008 said:
a canine is regarded as a cornerstone of occlusion. i would be very hesitant to shave it down to a lateral because you might end up with some screwed up excursive movements resulting in some interferences and possible TMD, headaches, muscle soreness. Although if they are located where your laterals should be, they might not affect your occlusion much and your premolars might be serving that function. Make sure he isn't going to compromise function for esthetics.

Very well said- I agree. Mlle- it sounds like your cuspids erupted mesially into the areas of the laterals?? If so and you pursue a cuspid substitution route of tx, your occlusion could be compromsied in addition to esthetics. Would you ever consider ortho to distalize the cuspids to set up for implant dentistry? Since the cuspids have erupted mesially, the chances of having adequate bone and tissue support for the implants is much greater. Something to consider....

scalpel2008 said:
That's what I was thinking. Her actual canines are functionally in an off-the-chart class II, which means she's almost certainly guiding off her premolars or else is in group function. The only likely potential compromise would be in protrusive, but I doubt he'll do anything to the lingual surface for a cosmetic procedure.

Either way, this thread has digressed too far into specific treatment advice. To the OP, please see another dentist if you want a second opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.