Encouragement For Students Applying in Near Future - Please Help!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

you should take physics, orgo II, the mcat and whatever else you need to take and apply to a US med school. don't waste your time with Saba or anyother carib school, until you have tried and failed to get accepted to a US school first. besides doesn't SABA require orgo and physics?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I wish to thank you two individuals for your reply. The reason I have decided to apply to the Caribbean is my age. I am very much older than the traditional applicant and I have grown frustrated with pursuing medicine because I very well realize how tremendously competitive gaining entry to a United States school is and I very well may be declined admittance if I score below a 30 on the MCAT. I feel this is very likely because I only performed slightly above average on the SAT. Furthermore, it is also very likely that I will perform poorly if granted an interview because I get very nervous in such situations and often show it. To waste more time pursuing medicine in vain would cause me greater frustration because I have yet to have a career and wish to achieve my dream of becoming a physician as soon as possible.

Saba actually does not require Physics. It is listed as optional on their website. Furthermore, I was told by Saba that you will not be penalized for not taking it. They do require Organic Chemistry, but you are allowed to apply even if you have not completed a class or two. I completed Organic Chemistry I and will be completing Organic Chemistry II this fall.

Do any of you two believe that I will be granted admission based on my current statistics for the May 2010 semester? Any input will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
 
Last edited:
well if you're so afraid of standardised tests then medicine is definitely not the right career for you. it's filled with standardized tests... what's going to happen when you have to take the USMLE? you have to get over your fear ASAP and that can start by taking the MCAT. Also if you're so nervous about interviewing how will you get into Saba? Saba interviews their candidates as well. what about interviewing for residency? or jobs later on? also age is a factor in being accepted to residencies as well. they don't want an old person who can't handle staying up for over 24 hours straight. or working as hard or fast as someone in their mid to late 20's.

I personally can't tell you if you'll get admited to SABA or not because I am not on the admissin comittee and really have no clue what they look for. I do know that your GPA form U Conn is very impressive.. and it says you just graduated so then you should be in your early 20's and that doesn't make you old. the average age for a 1st year med student in the US is 26.. I don't think taking the MCAT and physics and trying to get accepted into a US school is a waste of time, what will be a waste of time is if you go to saba but then can't match into a residency because you went to a carib school.. going to a US med school makes things so much easier...
 
Thank you once again for your reply and sharing your knowledge, RussianJoo. I am cognizant of the fact that Saba does conduct an interview, however, I have heard numerous individuals state that it is a telephone interview and laid back in the manner in which it is administered. I was also informed Saba and many individuals who have attended Saba that the chances of you being admitted are extremely high when you have been granted an interview. I actually have not graduated as of yet. However, I will be graduating this December. Unfortunately I am not the traditional age of a college graduate because I returned to school after taking a sabbatical. I have researched Saba, participated in an online chat, and also have emailed them. I have heard recent instances where individuals were getting interviews and acceptances despite not taking the MCAT. I was hoping that I had a chance of gaining acceptance because I am applying to the least competitive semester (May) and have solid GPAs (Overall - 3.833, Science - 3.810)

Any more input from you or anyone else registered to this forum will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
 
Confused, your record is impressive. If you were to take the MCAT and do well (upper 20s to 30s) you could probably get into a mainland MD or DO medical school. Incidentally, I'm also a nontrad and had good luck getting into US osteopathic schools. Just my opinion, good luck!
TB