endocannabinoids

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TinySeahorse

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am reading about the body's endocannabinoid system. One source states that endocannabinoids are produced in the mammillary bodies. I cannot find anything else that supports this. Are endocannabinoids hormones, neurotransmitters, or both? If they are not produced in the mammillary bodies, then where are they produced?

Additionally, they are lipophilic. Why, then, do they need cell surface receptors?

This is a serious question. I am an aspiring physician hoping to learn about this hot topic right now so that I understand it for the future. I am trying to understand as much as I can, and I figured these should be easy questions to answer for those with more knowledge.

Tried to post this question in the pharmacy forum but they acted like they had no idea what I was talking about. Kinda sad for people who should know about these things.

Members don't see this ad.

Have you done a PubMed search? If so, what did you find?
I found a whole lot of things that will require a lot of reading. Thought it would be easier to get a couple of quick answers to my main questions and then proceed with the reading.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am reading about the body's endocannabinoid system. One source states that endocannabinoids are produced in the mammillary bodies. I cannot find anything else that supports this. Are endocannabinoids hormones, neurotransmitters, or both? If they are not produced in the mammillary bodies, then where are they produced?

Additionally, they are lipophilic. Why, then, do they need cell surface receptors?

This is a serious question. I am an aspiring physician hoping to learn about this hot topic right now so that I understand it for the future. I am trying to understand as much as I can, and I figured these should be easy questions to answer for those with more knowledge.

Tried to post this question in the pharmacy forum but they acted like they had no idea what I was talking about. Kinda sad for people who should know about these things.

It's for the microglial migration.

Reactions: 1 user
Have you done a PubMed search? If so, what did you find?

Jeez, millenials these days, so averse to reading. In my day, we read about 300 pages a day in research articles, uphill, in the snow!

That's code for I don't know but don't want to look like I don't know. :)

Funny, though, with all the hubbub about medical marijuana, legalization, etc., that we don't have a lick to say about its actual science.

Reactions: 2 users
That's code for I don't know but don't want to look like I don't know. :)

Funny, though, with all the hubbub about medical marijuana, legalization, etc., that we don't have a lick to say about its actual science.

We don't know about the brain and don't know what of the thousands of chemicals which are burned are interacting with which receptors, doing what specifically. I can honestly say that a craving for ding dongs would be considered a known side effect.

Reactions: 1 user