endometrial hyperplasia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

foofighter7

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Kind of confused about this topic. So first aid says that it is common in postmenopausal women. However, it also says that increase estrogen can cause this. My question is, I thought post menopausal women had LOW estrogen. Can someone please explain.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Kind of confused about this topic. So first aid says that it is common in postmenopausal women. However, it also says that increase estrogen can cause this. My question is, I thought post menopausal women had LOW estrogen. Can someone please explain.

Thanks!

Postmenopausal women take Tamoxifen. Tamoxifen serves as an agonist of endometrial estrogen receptors. Apart from that I can't see how postmenopausal women would be @ an increased risk.

Thanks!

Premenopausal women are still menstruating, so the estrogen-associated endometrial growth (and hyperplasia) gets reset every month - it's not a pathological condition, it occurs naturally. Postmenopausal women no longer slough off their endometrium, so any additional growth results in prolonged hyperplasia. If a postmenopausal women has higher estrogen levels for whatever reason, she is more likely to have endometrial hyperplasia than a normal postmenopausal woman.

Premenopausal women are still menstruating, so the estrogen-associated endometrial growth (and hyperplasia) gets reset every month - it's not a pathological condition, it occurs naturally. Postmenopausal women no longer slough off their endometrium, so any additional growth results in prolonged hyperplasia. If a postmenopausal women has higher estrogen levels for whatever reason, she is more likely to have endometrial hyperplasia than a normal postmenopausal woman.

Point in fact is that postmenopausal hyperplasia is NOT normal and should always be worked up for possible endometrial cancer. And yes you're right.