Energy = ?

Algophiliac

Someday...
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't know if it's me getting older or the work getting more difficult, but I have terrible endurance levels these days. :( I used to be able to easily pull off 6 hour marathon study sessions (not really procrastinating until the last day, nor even just focusing on one subject, but sustained studying is the ONLY studying that works for me...yes, I've tried more sane methods :p)...but now...neuroplasticity has made me intensely "ADD" and perpetually exhausted!

How do you all get the endurance and energy to do everything? And of course, how do you maintain focus?

Members don't see this ad.

I tell myself that none of it matters and I won't die if I don't do well

Oh wait.

i dont think i ever studied more than an hour or 2 in high school. Save it for college. 6 hours isnt that bad, just take half hour break for eating. But i dont think u need to be studying that long in highschool. walk around every now and then. I like to listen to music while a study. WHen I start to lose focus I put on a song that pumps me up. Also coffee is your best friend, but again I dont think you need to coffee during high school.

Members don't see this ad :)
i dont think i ever studied more than an hour or 2 in high school. Save it for college. 6 hours isnt that bad, just take half hour break for eating. But i dont think u need to be studying that long in highschool. walk around every now and then. I like to listen to music while a study. WHen I start to lose focus I put on a song that pumps me up. Also coffee is your best friend, but again I dont think you need to coffee during high school.

:laugh: It's not like I spend 6 hours every day studying. But for example, if I am going to sit down and study for a biology test over three chapters, I sit down and read all three at a time. For some reason, this works very well for me. And again, I don't mean that I do this the day right before the test. I usually don't and end up spending a couple of hours later on in the week just skimming/reviewing. So really, I don't study very much. I just do it in large chunks.

Unfortunately music is my number one distractor. :p It gives me a LOT of energy...and throws my focus into the negatives. Coffee in small doses does seem to work though, thanks. :) Exercise in general also helps build endurance, I hear?

Crazyday, LOL! That doesn't really sound motivational the other way around, does it? :D

I don't know if it's me getting older or the work getting more difficult, but I have terrible endurance levels these days. :( I used to be able to easily pull off 6 hour marathon study sessions (not really procrastinating until the last day, nor even just focusing on one subject, but sustained studying is the ONLY studying that works for me...yes, I've tried more sane methods :p)...but now...neuroplasticity has made me intensely "ADD" and perpetually exhausted!

How do you all get the endurance and energy to do everything? And of course, how do you maintain focus?

Become one of the person so you will have energy

-Become the Texas chainsaw guy who eats pepole because he has energy. -Become a superman and help people
-Become a batman
-become an X-man
-become a hitman
-become the president of U.S
-become the lifeguard
-become the teacher
-become the army guy
-become the fire fighter
-become the wolf in red whood riding whood
-become the lion in Lion King
-become the ugly guy in Star Wars
-become Dr. House
-become the guys in ER and saying "Blood pressure is dropping"
-Become the news reporter
-become the guy shooting around people and jumping on the roofs
-become the guy saying "Thanks dad" when goes to bed
-become the computer guy
-become the music guitar guy and sing
-becine the guy who speaks poor in ENglish in China town and saying "35 dollars"
-Become the guy who is on SDN now but I am going to eat some nice hot chilli

Bye

:laugh: It's not like I spend 6 hours every day studying. But for example, if I am going to sit down and study for a biology test over three chapters, I sit down and read all three at a time. For some reason, this works very well for me. And again, I don't mean that I do this the day right before the test. I usually don't and end up spending a couple of hours later on in the week just skimming/reviewing. So really, I don't study very much. I just do it in large chunks.

Unfortunately music is my number one distractor. :p It gives me a LOT of energy...and throws my focus into the negatives. Coffee in small doses does seem to work though, thanks. :) Exercise in general also helps build endurance, I hear?

Crazyday, LOL! That doesn't really sound motivational the other way around, does it? :D

Yea it's kind of backwards. But it's true anyway though.

I retain stuff best when I'm not stressed, when I'm doing it because I want to. When I don't really worry about what grade I get, everything seems to click a lot easier and make more sense.

Now there's a big difference between not caring and not worrying. You see, hippies don't care. I care, I just don't worry. I do my best but in the end I get what I get, so I don't worry about the result. Hence, I'm not stressed, nervous, or anxious at all.

If I didn't care, then I wouldn't try at all and I'd fail everything. Of course, that also includes not worrying about failing everything, but it's not exactly a positive way to see things.

I'm a pseudo-hippie.

interesting situation!

First, I'd recommend identifying your most apt learning style and then run with it. This will save you TONS of time as you should notice your time spent time studying is used much more efficiently. As far as I can remember, there were 3 major categories most people fit into; Auditory, Visual, and Kinesthetic. Snoop around the internet for some online tests, compare your results with your own past history of experiences, and then develop a solid studying program.

Secondly, be curious. I would say only take classes you're interested in...but not everybody finds all of the premed courses all that intriguing (I knew very few people who actually liked organic chemistry, everyone else was just in there because it was a hoop to jump through). An inquisitive mind will constantly want to know something novel--and your textbook ought to be a great place to pick up new information.

Finally, in reference to an article I just read in Psychology Today, make sure you are in college to both learn AND remember. This means not pulling all-nighters, eating healthy, getting a sufficient amount of exercise, and avoiding drugs and alcohol. While I recognize these things will invariably introduce themselves into your life as a college undergraduate, if you do decide to take part in them, at least exercise moderation.

Yea it's kind of backwards. But it's true anyway though.

I retain stuff best when I'm not stressed, when I'm doing it because I want to. When I don't really worry about what grade I get, everything seems to click a lot easier and make more sense.

Now there's a big difference between not caring and not worrying. You see, hippies don't care. I care, I just don't worry. I do my best but in the end I get what I get, so I don't worry about the result. Hence, I'm not stressed, nervous, or anxious at all.

If I didn't care, then I wouldn't try at all and I'd fail everything. Of course, that also includes not worrying about failing everything, but it's not exactly a positive way to see things.

I'm a pseudo-hippie.

EXACTLY. :cool:

I took these classes because I love them. Everything we did in class used to interest me. I wish I could get that back...but when you're drowning it's quite difficult to appreciate how clear and clean the beach water is! :p

Oddly enough, when nothing matters, I put forth my best effort and do well. And here I was thinking it was only me with such insanity. :laugh:

So, I guess, I now need to figure out how best to relax.

interesting situation!

First, I'd recommend identifying your most apt learning style and then run with it. This will save you TONS of time as you should notice your time spent time studying is used much more efficiently. As far as I can remember, there were 3 major categories most people fit into; Auditory, Visual, and Kinesthetic. Snoop around the internet for some online tests, compare your results with your own past history of experiences, and then develop a solid studying program.

I am a combination of kinesthetic and visual, but I actually love to use all three just to mix it up a bit. :) Of course, I usually just fall asleep if I'm not actively taking notes, so the auditory one is mainly used only when listening to lectures.

Secondly, be curious. I would say only take classes you're interested in...but not everybody finds all of the premed courses all that intriguing (I knew very few people who actually liked organic chemistry, everyone else was just in there because it was a hoop to jump through). An inquisitive mind will constantly want to know something novel--and your textbook ought to be a great place to pick up new information.

This is, in fact, the essence of who I am. I love various fields, mostly just because they are exciting and new and well--my god, how can there be something out there that I don't know yet!! I absolutely have to figure it out now. :D If I wanted to jump through hoops, I'd join the circus.

Finally, in reference to an article I just read in Psychology Today, make sure you are in college to both learn AND remember. This means not pulling all-nighters, eating healthy, getting a sufficient amount of exercise, and avoiding drugs and alcohol. While I recognize these things will invariably introduce themselves into your life as a college undergraduate, if you do decide to take part in them, at least exercise moderation.

Thank you so much! I think moderation really is key sometimes.

interesting situation!

:thumbup:

Your post is amazingly up-beat. I didn't know it was possible to be that helpful and informative about study habits while making studying actually sound interesting. It made me smile a little.

awh, your appreciation made me smile too. Compassion is contagious like that ;)

Yes, it is... and now you have me smiling again. I guess it's a non-vicious circle then? :)

As far as where I get my energy to study, I would definitely have to give it up to being determined. You would be surprised how much you can do if you just tell yourself you can do it. I remember studying ~40 hrs over a weekend for my first Ochem final. It sucks while you are doing it and watching kids with easy majors just sun bathing, but you just have to let yourself know that it will pay off. It's also a lot nicer to look at your grades and be impressed rather than thinking "what if i had just studied a bit more..."

I heard it takes 15 minutes to get fully focused into studying and another 15 minutes to get back into if your focus gets broken. I find that it's the energy to get started that's the hardest, but once you get started you have the momentum to continue. Just make sure you turn of Facebook and SDN or else you'll never get into full focus.-

I heard it takes 15 minutes to get fully focused into studying and another 15 minutes to get back into if your focus gets broken. I find that it's the energy to get started that's the hardest, but once you get started you have the momentum to continue. Just make sure you turn of Facebook and SDN or else you'll never get into full focus.-

Well, this isn't my problem exactly. I literally get home from school exhausted--not physically, but mentally. As I said, my endurance levels are nowhere near where they used to be, and this is beginning to bug me. What can I do before college to get rid of this problem? I realize college classes may take up less time, but with ECs and the extra studying load, I doubt there will be less for me to actually do.

Maygyver, I used to be exactly this way. But now I'm just--drained, tired, burned out. Perhaps I really am getting older and need to alter my exercise/diet/sleep accordingly. Does no one ever feel this way?

Well, this isn't my problem exactly. I literally get home from school exhausted--not physically, but mentally. As I said, my endurance levels are nowhere near where they used to be, and this is beginning to bug me. What can I do before college to get rid of this problem? I realize college classes may take up less time, but with ECs and the extra studying load, I doubt there will be less for me to actually do.

Maygyver, I used to be exactly this way. But now I'm just--drained, tired, burned out. Perhaps I really am getting older and need to alter my exercise/diet/sleep accordingly. Does no one ever feel this way?

Well being a dual-enrolled student full time, I know college can't be that bad depending on what you do. If you can spend all day at school focusing, then you'll do fine with 7-8 hours of straight studying and homework. I'm not even productive half of the time and I'm getting through community college like a breeze.

Of course, this is different if you go to a much harder university. What I do is I put on headphones and boost caffeine if I really need to study. I lock myself up with all the resources I need to survive for the next 8 hours.