Engineering -> Pharmacy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChEStud

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have experience of graduating with an Engineering degree and going into Pharmacy? I've heard many people doing it (especially Biomedical Engineers and Chemical Engineers) and I was just wondering , due to the rigorous curriculum of Engineering, will our low GPAs hurt us? I'm a Chemical Engineering major and my GPA is sub par(Something between 3.3-3.4) but this is due to the ChemE classes and a Philosophy class, not your standard pre-pharm pre reqs.:scared:

Members don't see this ad.

Some schools will take more consideration on your "science" gpa and not your overal, basically meaning your gpa from their required pre-req classes. I would sit down with or get in contact with some of the admission councelors of the schools you are interested in.

Thanks! Also I was wondering how difficult it is to get into UCSF, USC, and Purdue SOP?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone have experience of graduating with an Engineering degree and going into Pharmacy? I've heard many people doing it (especially Biomedical Engineers and Chemical Engineers) and I was just wondering , due to the rigorous curriculum of Engineering, will our low GPAs hurt us? I'm a Chemical Engineering major and my GPA is sub par(Something between 3.3-3.4) but this is due to the ChemE classes and a Philosophy class, not your standard pre-pharm pre reqs.:scared:

Just a curious question: why don't you get a M.S or Phd in BioE or BME after having a B.S in ChemE? I think going for a M.S or Phd is a lot more logical than Pharmacy, and you gonna have a good job with Grad.E degree also.

From my undergrad's ChemE page:

"It is important to dispel the myth that engineering premeds have an advantage that displaces a high GPA and high MCAT score. In recent years admission to medical school has become very competitive. Consequently, medical school applicants have a low probability of acceptance without a reputable GPA, even if they opted for a more difficult undergraduate major. Do not expect admissions committees to utilize another academic standard because of the relative difficulty of Chemical Engineering curricula. In fact, most schools clearly state the indifference in undergraduate majors as a selection factor."
I realize that this paragraph discusses medical school specifically, but later on in the page:
Pharmacy School
Much of the information above about medical schools also applies to pharmacy schools.
So basically, your major doesn't matter - only your grades.

Just a curious question: why don't you get a M.S or Phd in BioE or BME after having a B.S in ChemE? I think going for a M.S or Phd is a lot more logical than Pharmacy, and you gonna have a good job with Grad.E degree also.
Because I want to go into Retail or Clinical Pharmacy and maybe work in a hospital environment. Pay is not even an issue to me. I could be making well over the salary of Pharmacist as a ChemE but its not my passion. You might say that I could work in a Pharm. Industry, but most Pharm. Industry "Engineering" jobs is designing and overlooking facilities, not actually designing and working with process of making drugs.

From my undergrad's ChemE page:

I realize that this paragraph discusses medical school specifically, but later on in the page:
So basically, your major doesn't matter - only your grades.

So they don't even consider how difficult Engineering is to Psychology , Economics, Business, Spanish, etc.? Thats a tad bit ridiculous.

Last edited:
So they don't even consider how difficult Engineering is to Psychology , Economics, Business, Spanish, etc.? Thats a tad bit ridiculous.

Ridiculous it is, but it is a fact that you have to take it. I have a B.S in ChemE just like you, and I am certainly sure that when applying to a med school, I will be treated the same as a kid who has a degree in Music, Fine Art, or World Religion.

The only thing that matters is your GPA.

Edit: People call Medication an Art for a reason, don't you think.

Last edited:
Define "GPA"- Overall GPA, PharmCAS GPA, Pre-Req GPA?

Define "GPA"- Overall GPA, PharmCAS GPA, Pre-Req GPA?

I could say all of them, but every school and program has its own standard of looking at your GPA.

I don't have a lot of experience in Pharmacy, but I know that in medical school, they look at your Overall GPA first.

*Edit: Actually, med school don't look at your overall GPA, they use computer software to do that. If your GPA falls bellow the threshold, the computer will discard your application. Any applicant who pass computer's filtering will be looked at by a human

Last edited:
I could say all of them, but every school and program has its own standard of looking at your GPA.

I don't have a lot of experience in Pharmacy, but I know that in medical school, they look at your Overall GPA first.

*Edit: Actually, med school don't look at your overall GPA, they use computer software to do that. If your GPA falls bellow the threshold, the computer will discard your application. Any applicant who pass computer's filtering will be looked at by a human
May I ask where do you go to school (undergrad)? I have a feeling I might know you

I think your post about "not looking at your major" is wrong- I read a thread somewhere on here where they took your major into consideration when applying to Pharm, Med, Vet, etc. school

I think your post about "not looking at your major" is wrong- I read a thread somewhere on here where they took your major into consideration when applying to Pharm, Med, Vet, etc. school

I think it depends on the school and your GPA. If your GPA is too low, you'll be cut out without them even considering your major. If you get past the first cut, some schools probably look at the level of difficulty of your coursework. They may not look at major, but the amount of difficult/time consuming classes you took. Some students with "easier" majors were successful in their major and all of the unrelated coursework needed for pharmacy school. I think that in most cases, if you meet the minimum requirements they will look at the whole picture and exact GPA means less. This doesn't mean that they will say a ChemE 3.7 is better than a music 3.7, but they'll look at LORs, personal statement, extracurricular activities, etc. As others have said, GPA only gets you considered, its the whole picture that gets you the interview/admission.

No, it's right. The idea is that you majored in the thing that interests you the most, which theoretically is the one that you should be the most successful in. This is why it's a bad idea to major in something because it's "impressive" - just do the one you like best.

What exactly does "somewhere" mean? Did it come from a Joe or online rambling.

"somewhere on here" aka. STDN Forum....

I don't know about medical schools, and I don't know about the pharmacy schools in your state, but all pharmacy schools are not the same. I have heard that interviewers in certain schools look at much more than just your GPA or PCAT scores. If your pre-req GPA is solid and you can convince them how you will be able to use your engineering background to benefit you and excel in the field of pharmacy, you shouldn't have a problem.

@whatbout2morrow: We live in the same state :p

you realize there is a surplus of pharmacists these days right? people are graduating with no jobs and no ability to pay back their student loans at all.

you need to consider this important point. pharmacy bubble is burst.

you realize there is a surplus of pharmacists these days right? people are graduating with no jobs and no ability to pay back their student loans at all.

you need to consider this important point. pharmacy bubble is burst.

:sleep: