Engineering to Med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

George Costanza

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all, I am a third year engineering student in Canada, and currently my GPA is very low (just below 3). I will work on bringing my GPA to at least a 3.2. And I have a lot of friends who graduated in engineering with a very bad GPA. The consensus is that it is very very hard to graduate from engineering (especially software eng.) with a good GPA.
That being said, I fancy going to med school after my studies. Would it be fair to compare my GPA in upper 3 from engineering with someone with a GPA of 3.9 from a program less grueling?

Also which science classes do i really need for Med school?
I thought I already did all of them in my college (Bio, Chem 1&2, Calculus 1&2&3, Physics 1&2&3&4). But I did them in 2005ish and I will graduate with my undergrad in 2011.
Do I have to do them again?
Should I also pick up a minor in biology or something to learn more about life science etc?
Are American med-schools open for Canadians to apply?

Thanks for helping out a noobie.
Great resourceful site!
 
Last edited: