Engineering

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaptainJack02

let's stir and shake
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all!
1)Anyone currently in medical school who studied engineering as an undergrad? How did med schools look upon the (more than likely narrow) preparation involved with your major? any strong points of the major that you emphasized in your interviews?

Members don't see this ad.

I was an electrical/computer engineering major in college.

I dont know if there is any advantage per se to being an engineering major in college and relation to med school acceptance chances. I know that statistically, engineering majors fare better than some other majors, but I think that has more to do with self-selection moreso than any kind of cause-effect relationship.

To be more precise, with engineering people only the very best tend to apply. Contrast that to bio majors, where pretty much everybody applies because its "expected" from them or they were all planning on applying to med school when they first started college.

At my interviews, I did run into a fair number of interviewers who seemed impressed with my engineering experience. I talked about some of the design projects I worked on, most of the projects had nothing to do with medicine but they still seemed interested.

One of the strong points in engineering that I talked about in interviews was teamwork. I talked about how I felt I had good team skills because of all the practice I got in my engineering design classes. I think thats an attractive quality for med school admissions people.

As far as the scope of engineering and how the med schools perceived it, I didnt encounter any tangible negative perceptions (i.e. engineering people are all nerds and geeks with no people skills). I think most of them are wise enough not to make those kinds of automatic associations and evaluate YOUR personality, not the supposed pre-conceived personality of the engineering profession as a whole.

You do need to make sure you participate in activities that are not totally science-driven though. But I think that your burden to show you are well-rounded enough for medicine is not higher than it is for any other major. Some of hte people I interviewed with made comments about how they felt engineering was a difficult major, but thats just anecdotal so I dont know if thats a prevailing assessment of the engineering academic rigor viewed from the medical school perspective.

I graduated with a civil engineering degree and have had the same feedback from interviewers as gradient. If anything it only helps because it makes you stand out.

Members don't see this ad :)
The only school I've seen that perceives engineers to be narrowly prepared is UT-Houston (they discourage majoring in engineering in their FAQs). However, my interviewers were impressed with my engineering background and did not try to imply that I was not well round. I agree with the previous posters, engineering is just as good as any major and be sure to pursue outside interests also.

I was a Civil Engineering major, practiced as an engineer for seven years and obtained my Professional Engineering registration before I applied to medical school.

This was looked on very favorably by the admission comittees at both of the medical schools where I applied and I believe went a long way towards offsetting a rather low GPA and only average MCAT score.

Engineering is simply a lot more difficult then most other under-graduate programs.

Additionally, some residency programs like radiology or nuclear medicine, I have been told, really like applicants with engineering backgrounds.