ENGL / writing intensive requirement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BiochemGirlYay

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My liberal arts school required two semesters of a freshman humanities core with a super cheesy name. It shows up on my transcript with "CORE" as its department. Both courses required writing 30+ pages of papers and were focused on the classics, literature and political theory. In other peoples' experience could this still meet the English/composition prerequisite requirement of many med schools, despite the ambiguity of its title?

(Unfortunately, my school doesn't label courses as writing intensive)

Members don't see this ad.

Check with your school's pre-medical advising office. They might explain it somewhere.

For example, here at Cornell, we have "Freshman Writing Seminars", in which we have to, well, write a lot and they can be in many different departments, but Cornell explains to medical schools that, despite a lot of them not being in the English dept, they all still have the same purpose, that is, to be writing intensive, so (most) medical schools count them as the English requirement.

My liberal arts school required two semesters of a freshman humanities core with a super cheesy name. It shows up on my transcript with "CORE" as its department. Both courses required writing 30+ pages of papers and were focused on the classics, literature and political theory. In other peoples' experience could this still meet the English/composition prerequisite requirement of many med schools, despite the ambiguity of its title?

(Unfortunately, my school doesn't label courses as writing intensive)

It probably should count.

Good idea to talk to your premed office. Ask them how this is usually explained to med schools by applicants. It could be in a committee letter (if your school does one) or you may have to call schools yourself.

Either way, it sounds like you should be fine. Most experiences I have heard of with these types of situation suggest that many med schools are open to working with you and approving classes.

Thanks guys! Yeah, I guess as long as I have a chance to explain it, I have a pretty good case to make