Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

English as a second language

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by Challenge, Jul 28, 2002.

1. Challenge

10+ Year Member

Hi folks! I came here in the U.S. after I finished my high school in Korea. Back then my English was just so horrible. Well, I had never thought of becoming a doctor until I graduated from college here. But still, I had to face a huge obstacle. English... Still now I'm having tremendous difficulties. As an individual whose native language is Korean, I think it is more difficult to learn English compared to individuals who come from Europe or South America. I was wondering if anyone of you who had similar experience and I would like know how you dealt with this difficulty as a F.O.B. (Fresh Of the Boat). :p
    Anyway, I did my first practice test and got 6 on verbal. Hopefully I make a huge improvement until next year. But what about the writing score in MCAT? How important is that?

Note: Sorry about my grammar mistakes if any.
    My English sucks, so does my verbal score. :(

I would appreciate if you could get me out of depression.
    Arghh!! I'm so stressed!!!!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Dr JPH

Dr JPH Membership Revoked
    Removed 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    First of all, your English is better than many people born in this country.

Secondly, although the writing sample is looked at, you may be able to justify a lower score due to your situation.

I would be sure to mention somewhere in your applications that English is indeed a second language for you and that you are finding it difficult to master.

Some schools may give you a break and take this into consideration. I know I highly respect a person who can come here and learn English. I still don't get it right and I've been doing it for over 20 years.

"i" before "e", where to put the apostrophe, and why heck CAN'T I say "Me and Jim went to the store"? :)

Good luck to you