English as a second language

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Challenge

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi folks! I came here in the U.S. after I finished my high school in Korea. Back then my English was just so horrible. Well, I had never thought of becoming a doctor until I graduated from college here. But still, I had to face a huge obstacle. English... Still now I'm having tremendous difficulties. As an individual whose native language is Korean, I think it is more difficult to learn English compared to individuals who come from Europe or South America. I was wondering if anyone of you who had similar experience and I would like know how you dealt with this difficulty as a F.O.B. (Fresh Of the Boat). :p
Anyway, I did my first practice test and got 6 on verbal. Hopefully I make a huge improvement until next year. But what about the writing score in MCAT? How important is that?

Note: Sorry about my grammar mistakes if any.
My English sucks, so does my verbal score. :(

I would appreciate if you could get me out of depression.
Arghh!! I'm so stressed!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

First of all, your English is better than many people born in this country.

Secondly, although the writing sample is looked at, you may be able to justify a lower score due to your situation.

I would be sure to mention somewhere in your applications that English is indeed a second language for you and that you are finding it difficult to master.

Some schools may give you a break and take this into consideration. I know I highly respect a person who can come here and learn English. I still don't get it right and I've been doing it for over 20 years.

"i" before "e", where to put the apostrophe, and why heck CAN'T I say "Me and Jim went to the store"? :)

Good luck to you