english course requirement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

simbalimba

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be applying in this 08-09 cycle and had a question regarding the english course requirement. I know that it is required I take six hours of english, at my school I passed out of english courses and thus did not have any courses to take, and if I wanted to the only courses offered are ESL courses so would not have helped. My question is:
Will osteopathic schools review my application and make a decision on it without the english requirements, as long as I state I will have them done before I start medical school, or will it be put on hold until I complete the courses? I have emailed a few schools and am still awaiting there responses but wanted to know if anyone else knew so I could give myself some peace of mind or take action on it immediately. Thanks guys.

Members don't see this ad.

You will probably just list the classes as "plan to take" on AACOMAS, and they won't give you any problems.

You will probably just list the classes as "plan to take" on AACOMAS, and they won't give you any problems.

Does anyone know FOR SURE or has had similar experiences?
I am sorry for sounding like a jerk TexasTri, I am grateful for your response but I would like a more concrete answer if possible because that way I can hopefully register for a few english courses this summer asap.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am right. So there is no room for ambiguity, I am 100% certain.

You will have to take the classes if they are required. There are no two ways about it. But its just like any other pre-requisite. You just need to have all their requirements fulfilled before you enroll at med school.

Indicate your intentions on the AACOMAS. If you haven't done the AACOMAS yet, then you will see what I mean when you start entering your classes. It is pretty straightforward. Just list when you're going to take them.

I was in the same boat last year. You will have to complete all pre-reqs prior to matriculating but they will review your file and give you what's called a "conditional acceptance" pending your completion of outstanding courses. There's no way to get around it, you'll have to take them, but it won't hinder a decision on your app.

Does anyone know FOR SURE or has had similar experiences?
I am sorry for sounding like a jerk TexasTri, I am grateful for your response but I would like a more concrete answer if possible because that way I can hopefully register for a few english courses this summer asap.

I received a conditional acceptance this year but have since completed the pre-req. Don't worry about it as long as you know you can have it done by the time you will matriculate. English isn't that important anyway. HA!