English doctor, how to learn path for step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ugm12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a doctor in England, just finishing my "foundation year" (intern year). With ongoing research projects in the US, I have been planning to gain ECFMG certification for a few years now.

From August I will start studying full-time for steps 1 and 2.

Bearing in mind pathology is not covered in the same detail at UK medical schools compared to the US, and I have plenty of time to study, should I work my through Goljan RR or use the popular pathoma resource?

I understand the pathoma/goljan debate has been exhausted across the internet, but these debates have been around "dedicated" prep. I have a good 9 months just to prepare for step 1.

Goljan appears to integrate phys well. I have also listened to his old bootleg lectures which are great. I cant imagine a 200pg pathoma book covers all the path I need for a high score.

Any thoughts very much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Pathoma Videos are more detailed than book. He gives examples that are not in the book. Book is only basics, essentials. Also, in videos he draws concepts etc. For example total video time of second Chapter is 224min, while book is only 11 pages. In addition, I like Pathoma more because it's a visual learning too, he shows images (gross and histological etc), he draws graphs, sketches etc.
You can do both, view Pathoma videos and listen to Goljan in car/subway on the go etc. Another thing I noticed is that Sattar is a lot more organized, you can tell he spent time polishing his book and videos - only high yield stuff, while Goljan often can go and talk about unrelated things like his life stories etc. It's not only that, but in general Goljan feels more vague and not as focused as Pathoma. He can only cover so much in audio without visual information. Goljan can sometimes integrate physio like you said brilliantly, but it's not like he is doing it consistently. Just my opinion.

P.S. I'm not sure if Goljan has a book and video lectures - if he does - then that's a whole different level, but if it's only audio - then I would go with Pathoma videos.

Thank you for your input. That is extremely helpful. Good to know the pathoma videos contain much more detail than just the book.

Although, I was deciding whether I should use the pathoma resource, or Goljan's Rapid Review Pathology, seen as I have plenty of time the study and some of this is new material to me

Thank you for your input. That is extremely helpful. Good to know the pathoma videos contain much more detail than just the book.

Although, I was deciding whether I should use the pathoma resource, or Goljan's Rapid Review Pathology, seen as I have plenty of time the study and some of this is new material to me
Never used Goljan, but I've heard hes a great lecturer so you can use him to augment pathoma, even if just listening (using notes if you need that also).

Dr. Sattar's lectures are far more valuable than the textbook itself. You would be doing yourself a disservice not to use them.