english pre-req's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

poly800rock

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
so basically my alma mater has come up with another way to screw me. I tested out of the english writing class at my school but called some schools today and found out that I have to take them. This is no problem, as I can pick them up easily, but was wondering about the status of my application? I'm a non-trad, been out of school for 4 years now. Will schools not even look at my app until this english requirement is met? or will they be able to overlook this fact (i'm taking it, just not right now, would be finished after apps are done)?

thanks for the help. Anyone know which english courses are ones to take as well?

Members don't see this ad.

You do not have to have all courses completed to be considered as far as I know. Obviously they would notice the fact that your app is not complete as far as all courses fulfilled. What I would do is either write them explaining the situation so they have it on file and understand what happened, or call them and explain. Hard copy may be better so it does not get lost in the secretaries mind. Anyways for the most part I think schools only want all classes completed by entry into the program.

Bottomline you have time and can explain, you will be alright and they will still consider you.

Generic English 101 and 102 courses in composition or Lit should suffice for the english requirement. You can list couses that are in progress on your AACOMAS app, but will be required to send in updated transcripts when the class is completed.

I believe you'll be able to apply with incomplete pre-reqs, but as I am not 100% sure, I recommend calling or emailing the individual schools for confirmation.

so basically my alma mater has come up with another way to screw me. I tested out of the english writing class at my school but called some schools today and found out that I have to take them. This is no problem, as I can pick them up easily, but was wondering about the status of my application? I'm a non-trad, been out of school for 4 years now. Will schools not even look at my app until this english requirement is met? or will they be able to overlook this fact (i'm taking it, just not right now, would be finished after apps are done)?

thanks for the help. Anyone know which english courses are ones to take as well?