winter25

2+ Year Member
Jul 16, 2015
Status
Optometry Student
I received AP English credit for English Language & Composition, which translates to 6 credit hours on my transcript. Does this fulfill the English requirement for most med schools? From what I can tell, most schools require 2 semesters of English. Thanks!

BeachBaby

2+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Hey! I had to think about this a lot because I too did not take English in college (passed AP lang & lit in high school and was excused out of the college english). For most schools the AP credit is okay but for some I had to have a professor write a note explaining that my english requirement for the college was complete. I wrote to TCMC, Medical College of Wisconsin, I think SUNY buffalo. Maybe look at if English is required before picking your schools.

DrHart

5+ Year Member
Jan 2, 2013
Chicago
Status
Pre-Medical
I received AP English credit for English Language & Composition, which translates to 6 credit hours on my transcript. Does this fulfill the English requirement for most med schools? From what I can tell, most schools require 2 semesters of English. Thanks!
From what I've gathered, 6 credits of English (college class or AP credit) will be fine for many, if not most schools. I received 3 credits for AP Lang/Comp. I never took a strictly "English" class in college. No ENGL 101 or whatever. I took a philosophy and writing courses - which fulfills the requirements for most of the schools I applied to.
If you wanna be safe, take another English class. If you have specific schools in mind, I would check their websites to see what they require. Worst case scenario is that you have to take a summer English class before you start med school. As the adcoms members on this site will say, this is a requirement for matriculation, not for applying or even to for acceptance.

gonnif

Only 389 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
From what I've gathered, 6 credits of English (college class or AP credit) will be fine for many, if not most schools. I received 3 credits for AP Lang/Comp. I never took a strictly "English" class in college. No ENGL 101 or whatever. I took a philosophy and writing courses - which fulfills the requirements for most of the schools I applied to.
If you wanna be safe, take another English class. If you have specific schools in mind, I would check their websites to see what they require. Worst case scenario is that you have to take a summer English class before you start med school. As the adcoms members on this site will say, this is a requirement for matriculation, not for applying or even to for acceptance.
A few thoughts

1) This issue is school specific, and often, course specific within a school. Some schools will accept only certain courses via AP (where you have earned credits listed on your transcripts). You need to check each school you are interested in to ensure it will be accepted.
2) Prerequisites are not needed to apply, but they are needed to matriculate. After you have taken an offer of acceptance at a school, you have pre-matriculation processing which will usually include having your official transcripts sent directly to the school. It is at this point prereqs are checked for fulfillment. If you dont have one fulfilled, you may be able to request a waiver or appeal a decision. However, the waiver/appeal process varies widely by school. Some schools are very strict, others more accepting of substitute courses.
3) While in the past, taking a course in the summer before you can matriculate was a reasonable backup, may schools are now listing June or even January of the matriculation year for prereqs to be completed. This appears to be due the increasingly earlier dates that medical schools are starting their programs, many now beginning in July, certainly most by early August