English Requirements?

Started by PA_dud3
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

PA_dud3

PA-S1
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all,

So most DO schools state something like 6 hours of English at the college level is required. I have already taken an english course for 3 hours but by the time I graduate I will have taken over 40 hours of history credits, nearly all with substantive writing portions including 3 writing intensive seminars and a writing intensive Genetics lab. If I were to apply with only 3 hours of just plain "English" in spite of these courses, would this warrant an R? I apologize if this is a stupid question. Hope everyone is doing well during this time and staying healthy!
 
When you fill out your application, the school's pre-reqs will be displayed and you have to list what class you took that fulfills that requirement. I had a school tell me my application would not become complete until I fulfilled that requirement with a course they would accept and sometimes they list these out. Most schools also accept AP classes in HS (if you took the exam and got the credit). I would take another English class that schools accept (Intermediate Composition?) this summer and list it as a course in progress while you are applying. Much safer than applying without a requirement filled as they won't even process your app and English is just one of those classes most schools want to see 2 semesters of.
 
When you fill out your application, the school's pre-reqs will be displayed and you have to list what class you took that fulfills that requirement. I had a school tell me my application would not become complete until I fulfilled that requirement with a course they would accept and sometimes they list these out. Most schools also accept AP classes in HS (if you took the exam and got the credit). I would take another English class that schools accept (Intermediate Composition?) this summer and list it as a course in progress while you are applying. Much safer than applying without a requirement filled as they won't even process your app and English is just one of those classes most schools want to see 2 semesters of.
Very helpful, thank you for your input!!
 
Hi all,

So most DO schools state something like 6 hours of English at the college level is required. I have already taken an english course for 3 hours but by the time I graduate I will have taken over 40 hours of history credits, nearly all with substantive writing portions including 3 writing intensive seminars and a writing intensive Genetics lab. If I were to apply with only 3 hours of just plain "English" in spite of these courses, would this warrant an R? I apologize if this is a stupid question. Hope everyone is doing well during this time and staying healthy!

I minored in music history, so the majority of my classes for my minor were writing intensive. Do any of your history classes have a W in the course number? My music history classes had W listed in the course number for "writing," so I did not need to take an additional English class. You could also list a history class that fulfills the requirement on your application. If they question you about it, you can send in a syllabus outlining the writing requirement and they might accept the credit.