Engraving a stethoscope

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

happymd2b

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I already purchased a stethoscope but did not get it engraved. Where can I get it engraved? Or, should I just buy one of those name plates and attach it to my stethoscope? I just don't want someone to walk off with it. Also, do you think it's better to engrave it on the tube or on another portion of the stethoscope?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

A jeweler could engrave the bell for you. I've seen others with some sort of screen printing on the tube itself -- no idea where to do that, though.

Really, engraving it won't keep it from walking off. It'll just encourage the thief to toss it in the trash once they realize it's engraved as to not be caught with it.

I just hang the name plate on mine so it has the chance of getting back to me should a nice person come across it. What kind of stethoscope did you get?

ed2brute said:
Really, engraving it won't keep it from walking off. It'll just encourage the thief to toss it in the trash once they realize it's engraved as to not be caught with it.

Whoah! Does that mean med professionals steal stethoscopes from each other? I can't imagine anyone else being able to use it or selling it on the black market...

Members don't see this ad :)
I have mine engraved on the bell and so I left in a patient's room and it found its way back to me because it was engraved. I'd like to thank that honest nurse.

How much does it cost to get your name engraved?

You should be able to contact a big supplier and have them do it for you... engraving is about $14-15 I think. I think the better option is to engrave the tube, but that's just me.

Suggested sites:
http://www.allheart.com/31273134.html
http://www.steeles.com/catalog/3mlittcardIII.html

If you get one of those, make sure you get the coupon for a free kit from 3M Littmann! It includes a free hanging name badge thing for the stethoscope, a CD of heart sounds, and some other stuff.

anon-y-mouse said:
If you get one of those, make sure you get the coupon for a free kit from 3M Littmann! It includes a free hanging name badge thing for the stethoscope, a CD of heart sounds, and some other stuff.

Anyone have this coupon and want to scan it for those of us who aren't so lucky? I was given a Cardio III as a gift, and I didn't get this kit... but it sounds useful.

I got mine laser engraved so there is no actual dents in the metal.

mine was a gift and the gift-giver had it engraved on the stem part just before the tubing starts...it looks great and didn't hurt it at all, not sure where he had it done though.

But is there anywhere I can take it to get engraved now that I already have one?

I feel like printing on the tubing doesn't work so well. I mean. It could rub off after a while since it's hanging from your neck. The tubing on mine has lost its shine in most places and seems a bit rubbed up.

Chinorean said:
Whoah! Does that mean med professionals steal stethoscopes from each other? I can't imagine anyone else being able to use it or selling it on the black market...
There are some very expensive steths out there.

happymd2b said:
But is there anywhere I can take it to get engraved now that I already have one?
Any jeweler could probably do it. Not too hard to find probably.

just get a name plate that you can snap on.

Many jewelers outsource their engraving. Trophy and award shops, however, typically do it in-house. You'll probably get a better deal going to one of those places.

Members don't see this ad :)
guys Im about to ge a littman and Im going to engrave it. How do you guys prefer yours engraved?

First Name Last Name

Im thinking "first name last name" M.D.

Do you guys think its okay to put MD at the end?

JohnDoeDDS said:
Do you guys think its okay to put MD at the end?

if you're an MD, yeah

if not, definitely not a good idea.

sorry guys. Actually its for my friend. Hes starting his 3rd year and I want to get him a present. So any recommends on engraving? Is it okay to write MD after his first and last name even though he is still in med school?

Chinorean said:

Your question has probably been answered...I'm just too lazy to look. I used to leave my computer and textbooks in our study carrels overnight all the time, and I was warned more times than I can count that my stuff would get stolen. My stuff never was disrupted, but there were plenty of people who had stuff stolen out of their mail boxes (for instance, someone borrows a book from a friend, and when the friend is done with it he leaves it in the owners mailbox. The owner checks the mailbox to find that the book is stolen. That happened an amazing number of times in first and second year. So, yeah, students will steal from each other. They would probably do a lot worse if they thought it would save them money or get them a better grade.

Many jewelers outsource their engraving. Trophy and award shops, however, typically do it in-house. You'll probably get a better deal going to one of those places.

cough newtontrophy.com will do it cheap if you mention that you were from SDN! Send them an e-mail at [email protected] :oops:) They are willing to do it via-snailmail if you want.

Just write "Isolation Use Only --YourName" (on a piece of tape wrapped around the tubing or written on the tubing with permanent marker) on it and nobody will ever steal it. :lol:

Reactions: 1 user