Enjoyable Major vs. Practical Major

AntiHouseMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As I've looked at colleges and considered majors, something has kept on popping up for me. There's been a big debate on majors here, and I think this question that I've had is one that a lot of students also consider. So, I'll put it up here to open it up for debate.

When deciding on what to study for pre-med, should a person major in something they enjoy or something that will get them a job if medicine doesn't work out? For example, if a person enjoys science, should they go for a major in a science or go for something like a business major just as a back-up, even if they aren't excited to study it?

Members don't see this ad.

As I've looked at colleges and considered majors, something has kept on popping up for me. There's been a big debate on majors here, and I think this question that I've had is one that a lot of students also consider. So, I'll put it up here to open it up for debate.

When deciding on what to study for pre-med, should a person major in something they enjoy or something that will get them a job if medicine doesn't work out? For example, if a person enjoys science, should they go for a major in a science or go for something like a business major just as a back-up, even if they aren't excited to study it?

If you aren't excited to study something, chances are that you won't be excited to work in the field. Then you'll struggle along at jobs you hate for a couple years before you realize that you need to go back to school and study something that actually interests you, putting you back at square one.

While you want to study something you are interested in, it is a valid question to consider what you will do with it if you don't get in to medical school. It didn't really dawn on me until I was working on my medical school applications that I didn't really have any idea what I would do with my molecular biology degree if I didn't get accepted anywhere.

If you aren't happy becoming an academic if you don't get into medical school, you really do need to consider the net result of your education. College is not cheap, and not everyone gets to go to medical school who wants to.

Want to study art history? Great, but be aware that if you don't get into medical school, you can't pay back your student loans with a love of art history. College is not supposed to be a job training program (its ideals are purer than that) but given the costs involved and the job market today, you can't ignore practical concerns.

Members don't see this ad :)

don't major in something just because it might be a good back-up.
if you want to major in science and have a job in medicine, then do it! especially if you really like science... that should help you out in all your science classes because you'll be interested in what you're learning.

pick a major you will have a true interest in.
study hard and try your best in all your classes.
if you try really hard and excel in all of your classes, become involved with extracurriculars, etc. then there is NO reason why you can't have a job in medicine.

you don't need a backup plan. put all you're got into what you really want to do.

To be honest, unless you're interested in something really specialized like economics or engineering, your college major means crap. Getting a good job after college (even if it's a backup to med school) is all about who you know and what extracurricular experience you've had. So, if you ARE passionate about art history, major in that and then volunteer at a museum. It's a unique experience you can talk about in your med school application, and it gets you some contacts in the field in case med school doesn't work out. That goes for pretty much any major. Interested in politics? Major in political science and do an internship with your congressperson.

And if you're wondering, the most useful major/double major by far is a foreign language, unless you already know more than one. That will get you hired far faster than a 4.0 business degree or whatever.

if the line of thinking is go to college -> major in something -> get career, then technical is probably the way to go.

for people more comfortable with ambiguity and open ended job markets, liberal arts are a good choice. Unless you just drone through classes, they will also make you an interesting person to talk to (and interview).

I wish I had time to take more sociology, philosophy, and english classes but the clock is ticking and money isn't endless.

Follow what you love. Your college education is NOT a means to a end.

I don't think that the two have to be mutually exclusive. You *should* think about what you will do if you don't get accepted to medical school, but that doesn't mean you have to be relegated to a major that you hate.

If you love the sciences, some type of engineering is a good choice, since you can work as a bachelors-level engineer. Even chemistry or biology would be ok if you wouldn't mind working as a research tech. What I would *not* do is major in premed. We had that major at the university where I went to grad school, and I was forever arguing with my students not to choose the premed major, because there is no job market out there whatsoever for professional premeds. :hungover:

If you're interested in the humanities, I agree that a foreign language is a good choice, as it will give you a very marketable skill. I took Spanish in college, which is a good choice since it's such a commonly spoken language in the US. But if your school offers Chinese or Arabic, those would be useful languages to speak too.

For social sciences, I think that accounting would be a better choice than business, because again, you can get a job with an accounting degree. I'm really not sure what kind of job you would be qualified for with a bachelor's degree in business, because even having an MBA doesn't qualify you for any specific job. Other degrees where you could realistically hope to get a job with only a bachelor's degree would be psychology (again, as a research tech) or teaching.

I got a liberal arts degree, which worked out well because I knew that I'd be going to graduate school. But if you don't anticipate going to grad school (for an MS or PhD, I mean), then a liberal arts degree isn't going to get you a job. Even if you have a PhD, jobs can be scarce just because there are too many PhDs and not enough jobs for them all. This issue wasn't the primary reason that I went to medical school after getting my PhD, but it was a minor consideration.

I like to apply logic to solve problems, and I also enjoy the science of nature. So, I figured that a major in biology or chemistry would be the best option for me. Engineering, although it has the problem solving complex, doesn't really involve biological science, so that's why I haven't really considered it. I'll take a closer look.

Given the recent state of the economy, I was somewhat depressed as to what would happen to me if I didn't make it into medical school. So, that's why I'm asking the question. I want to enjoy my major, but I don't want to fall into joblessness and struggle to make a living.

Thanks for all the advice so far, and please continue. It's a great help to someone in my position.

Just a fair warning, don't do Engineering if you don't want to be an engineer. It's a huge time commitment, and your grades will likely show it, especially if you don't really have an interest in it in the first place.

I'm a biology major, because it had the most similarities with the Pre-Med curriculum. I try to justify it by saying I really liked my Intro classes in high school and college, but really, I never got around to changing my major. I don't want to be a biologist in the slightest; I just want to get into med school. Therefore, my enjoyment of bio-related classes is small.

My friend, on the other hand, went down the same path and decided to switch her major to Communications. She absolutely loves it. She's still into medicine, but her Comm classes were a way for her to relax before med school.

So what's the moral of the story? Pick something you like, not what you think is practical or what you think adcoms are looking for. My parents have wanted me to get a MBA since I graduated high school, "just in case." But I know I'd die if I ever had to take a business class.

If you're really interested in medicine, that's what you'll end up doing. So why waste time (and money) getting a "safety" degree that you'll never use?

I like to apply logic to solve problems, and I also enjoy the science of nature. So, I figured that a major in biology or chemistry would be the best option for me. Engineering, although it has the problem solving complex, doesn't really involve biological science, so that's why I haven't really considered it. I'll take a closer look.
Have you considered biomedical engineering?

To be fair, you'll be doing plenty of problem-solving and science in med school. It can be nice to have an easier major to give you a bit of a break. Social sciences are a great option--psychology or sociology. Of course, if you really are interested in bio or chem after taking the intro classes, definitely major in what you enjoy because it's much easier to pay attention to a class when you like the subject material.

As a student finishing up what will (hopefully) be my last full year in high school, I am going to have to say that I would prefer, and plan to, pursue a major that I am passionate about, instead of one that will financially be practical if I don't gain admission into medical school. Not that the possibility shouldn't be considered and thought about; but, I see undergraduate as a time where one should absorb as much as possible, take advantage of and participate in as many opportunities as is reasonable and just, in general, experience. Yes, make sure to get your prerequisites in and put quite a bit of effort into them; however, also explore what (other than medicine, or whatever doctorate you may be looking to pursue) you are passionate about and don't sacrifice your happiness. Personally, I know that I would suffer from some intense amount of frustration, boredom and psychological torture if I ever had to take a business or economics course.

Please, if one feels that I am wrong, correct me! I am not pretending to be an expert in the least. I'm simply a high school student with a lot of goals, hopes, loves, ideas, opinions and an immense amount of passion for medicine and all that it is and can be. I know what I want, and I'm going to fight and work to get there. And, if I don't - well, I know that's a good possibility. I would never want to leave the field completely. Lower-level research positions, advocacy, perhaps even some form of graduate school (MA, MS, PHD, etc) are all things I would look into. Of course, I don't want to think about not getting accepted; but I will certainly spend time planning and exploring other options, just in case.

By the way, I'm not entirely sure what I want to major in and, thankfully, the school I'm in the process of gaining admission to won't require me to declare one until the end of sophomore year. So, for now, I can more or less relax, focus on my prerequisite courses and explore what I am truly interested and impassioned about. Specifically, those things would be biology, chemistry, anthropology, sociology, psychology, history (especially WWII and Holocaust studies), cultural studies and a little political science. I'll be required to take a language, too, so Spanish will likely be thrown into that mix. My school also offers a major by the name of, "Social Change/Social Action", which also sounds like a good fit. They also allow students to combine them, and even create their own. Perhaps, I will try to craft a major that focuses on the psychological and social-cultural factors of health and disease, and how to use that approach to implement reform, better access to care and encourage good health. I don't quite know yet; I still have time.

Cheers,
Erika

This is a good question to be asking. My only advice would be that you consider three major points when choosing your major:

1) Are you interested in it?
2) Will it help to get you a job (that you'll like)?
3) Can you get good grades in it?

As long as you are a pre-medical student that last point must be a consideration. If I were ranking those by level of importance, I might even make it the second or even the first point. In an ideal world it wouldn't be a consideration, but given how medical school is largely a numbers game, to increase your chances of success you'll need to play that way.

With that said, I would strongly discourage you (or any pre-med) from engineering. Engineering is one of those very diverse fields that can theoretically lead you into almost any career track (or graduate program - I've known engineering majors who went on to business school, law school, medical school, or basic science research). The problem is that the doors are only open to you if you do well. Engineering is one of the more difficult courses of study, and even though many people seem to recognize that, you won't receive any sympathy for having a lower GPA compared to a non-engineering major.

So try to pick something that you love and that could convert into a career you'd enjoy in the event that you decide that medicine isn't right for you, but as long as you're thinking that medicine is what you want, choose something that guarantees you a high GPA.

So try to pick something that you love and that could convert into a career you'd enjoy in the event that you decide that medicine isn't right for you, but as long as you're thinking that medicine is what you want, choose something that guarantees you a high GPA.

+1

It's easier to change your major (should you decide that you prefer engineering to medicine) than it is to fix a few years worth of crummy grades.