enlighten me with your wisdom & opinions, PLEAASE.. thx.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

studentdoc29x

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello.

i hope everyone can give me their inputs.

I'm an MS3 in the philippines and WILL DO PG1/internship. So far i'd like to work in the US. I'm interested in Internal Medicine, i've done my readings in all the requirements to get accepted into a US program, and i found out it's very costly to go thru the whole process of kaplan reviews, exams, flying to the US, flying interstate for the interviews, etc etc. I'm only an average student, with no US clinical experience, so i think i'd have a hard time getting into a residency program. But my concern is more on financial funding, i'm afraid that somewhere along the process after all the exams my financial support will run out of money

Now my question is... if worse comes to worse and i can't get into a residency program, what is the outlook of working as a General Physician? At what kind of places can i look for work? Do they even have GPs in the US? or must US doctors have FP or IM training? Because in ASIA, GPs are almost useless in terms of finding work and financial stability. Can you please tell me more on what i can do working in the US as a GP?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

studentdoc29x said:
hello.

i hope everyone can give me their inputs.

I'm an MS3 in the philippines and WILL DO PG1/internship. So far i'd like to work in the US. I'm interested in Internal Medicine, i've done my readings in all the requirements to get accepted into a US program, and i found out it's very costly to go thru the whole process of kaplan reviews, exams, flying to the US, flying interstate for the interviews, etc etc. I'm only an average student, with no US clinical experience, so i think i'd have a hard time getting into a residency program. But my concern is more on financial funding, i'm afraid that somewhere along the process after all the exams my financial support will run out of money

Now my question is... if worse comes to worse and i can't get into a residency program, what is the outlook of working as a General Physician? At what kind of places can i look for work? Do they even have GPs in the US? or must US doctors have FP or IM training? Because in ASIA, GPs are almost useless in terms of finding work and financial stability. Can you please tell me more on what i can do working in the US as a GP?

Thank you
You need to complete at least one year of post graduate medical trining in most states to get a license.A license is required for almost any job at all in medicine in the US.There are some jobs for people with the minimum 1 year training.However they are not the best and are limited in number.If you can get at least one year then you should be able to finish the remaining 2 years for IM or FP to have real opportunities.

ny skindoc said:
You need to complete at least one year of post graduate medical trining in most states to get a license.A license is required for almost any job at all in medicine in the US.There are some jobs for people with the minimum 1 year training.However they are not the best and are limited in number.If you can get at least one year then you should be able to finish the remaining 2 years for IM or FP to have real opportunities.

thank you for the insight. this one year training, you mean in the US? or can it be out side of the US? is that what you call the prelimenary training of one year in IM?

What sorts of jobs am i able to get with only one year of training?

thank you again.

Members don't see this ad :)
The bulk of expenses will be undertaking the various exams, you can take step 1 and 2 out of the country, however you will have to take the CSA in the US, the exam is costly alone, if you add in travel etc, it really does add up. Afterwards, you have to be in the US to interview etc.
Once you have secured a residency position, your financial picture will improve, although you will not be paid a great deal, you can live fairly comfortably, and finish your training.
You could do 1-2 years in the US of training, and become a GP, however it would probably be worth your time to finish your training completely.

Good Luck