Enneagrams

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stagg737

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Posted this in the psychiatry sub-forum, but figured I'd probably get more responses here. I have a patient who recently started seeing a therapist and they had him fill out an Enneagram. He asked me if I wanted it sent to us and I said sure, but I have never heard of these. A quick google seems like it's basically another Meyers-Briggs-like conceptualization with more basis in pop-psychology than actual therapy.

Anyone have any knowledge or experience with these? Curious if there's any actual clinical utility that a thorough eval wouldn't address or if this is basically like a an interesting Buzzfeed quiz.

Members don't see this ad.

Posted this in the psychiatry sub-forum, but figured I'd probably get more responses here. I have a patient who recently started seeing a therapist and they had him fill out an Enneagram. He asked me if I wanted it sent to us and I said sure, but I have never heard of these. A quick google seems like it's basically another Meyers-Briggs-like conceptualization with more basis in pop-psychology than actual therapy.

Anyone have any knowledge or experience with these? Curious if there's any actual clinical utility that a thorough eval wouldn't address or if this is basically like a an interesting Buzzfeed quiz.
Ugh. I cringe whenever I hear about Enneagrams. They’re so pop cultural, so they drive me bonkers. My understanding is that there is not strong psychometric data on it at this time, but I am not certain. If someone does have citations, please share here. I would like to do a search at some point, not sure when.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It's trashy type psychology meets the Forer effect.

Ugh. I cringe whenever I hear about Enneagrams. They’re so pop cultural, so they drive me bonkers. My understanding is that there is not strong psychometric data on it at this time, but I am not certain. If someone does have citations, please share here. I would like to do a search at some point, not sure when.

It's all proprietary...what a shocker.

Reactions: 1 users
Remember these from elementary school?

1.jpg

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 11 users
I've never heard of them, so I Googled it, and even the Wikipedia entry says they are pseudoscience.

Reactions: 1 user
Really, I am very curious what the presenting problem is that would require psychiatry and an Enneagram. I feel like those assessments are used more for things like career counseling than mood or psychotic disorders. Does the person know which Harry Potter character they are?

Really, I am very curious what the presenting problem is that would require psychiatry and an Enneagram. I feel like those assessments are used more for things like career counseling than mood or psychotic disorders. Does the person know which Harry Potter character they are?
The problem is they are Voldemort.

Have you guys seen that Harry Potter pathology quiz that is supposedly based on actual research? It's AWFUL.

Enneagrams are the new MBTI. I really have to wonder why they're making such a splash into the counseling/psych community - a LOT of interns and associate level therapists in my area are obsessed with it, and I'm just.... ahhhhhh.

It's a fun conversation starter. I ask about it in the same breath that I use to ask about Harry Potter Hogwarts houses and Divergent factions. But never as a clinical assessment tool.

Reactions: 2 users
An enneagram, MBTI, or Harry Potter type can all have some clinical utility in facilitating a dialogue about a patient understanding of themselves. Not something I would recommend for a patient, but I also typically don't explain to them how it is not a psychometrically sound instrument. Mainly because coming off like a pedantic jerk can sever rapport. I would not administer as part of an assessment and am skeptical of anyone who did.

Here is a recent review in the Journal of Clinical Psychology of the Ennegram. Thought you folks may find it interesting.