Enough Time for them Both?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Quixotic

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will have a four week block set aside to study for Step II CK per the school. Will four weeks be enough time to study for and take both exams? I am anticipating 2.5-3 weeks of studying for CK. How long does it take to study for CS?

Members don't see this ad.

the cs is not that difficult of a test assuming you have basic interview and physical examination skills. i thought about taking the ck and cs in the same month (within 3 weeks) of each other but pushed it back because i was on a rotation and had match day between the two tests. it is very possible to do both in the same month. btw, cs takes like 2 days. just read first aid.

It is possible, so long as your time is managed well. FA for CS is very good and that can take care of your CS prep. I would take CS either way early or way late in the time frame and use the rest of the time for CK only instead of using a small portion of each day for CS. I'd rather compartmentalize: just read FA for CS for a few days, take CS and then go all out CK or the reverse.

Members don't see this ad :)
Studying 3 weeks for CK and then doing CS a week later is a great idea. I took my CS and CK far apart, but I found that studying for one complements the other. The most time intensive studying to do for CS (IMO) involves coming up with a differential diagnosis and then ordering the correct tests on the patient note. Since CK is quite clinical in nature, studying for CK really helps for CS. As far as the physical exam and interview, if you take CS within a month of a clinical rotation (a primary care field or ER would be the best), you should be fine.

First Aid CS is fine. A lot of the cases on the real exam are bread-and-butter (hematuria, pancreatitis) with a couple of odd ones thrown in. You just need to wound the zebras, not kill them.

I just took step II CK yesterday. I studied about 11 days. I am class of 2008. I'm sure I just screwed myself over regarding matching.