-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Enough Time to Study?
Started by 910803
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I don't suggest taking the pcat without any of your prerequisites done in college. So far I have not found any review books that's been helpful for quantative ability, there is quite a few statistics and calculus problems in pcat the last two I took. Also you need to know organic for chemistry.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It sounds like a terrible idea, in my opinion. I took the PCAT right after my 2nd semester of college and I felt like I didn't know a lot of the material. Actually my score for that time was pretty evident that I didn't - lol. I say just take it next year.
You have plenty of time before pharmacy school, what's the rush?
You have plenty of time before pharmacy school, what's the rush?
I think he may be in a situation similar to mine. If you plan on just getting your prerequisites done before pharmacy school (and not going for a degree), then you have a lot less time to take the PCAT. I know for UK's pharmacy program, if you are entering in Fall 2011, then the latest you have to take the PCAT according to them is October 2009, which would fall about a month into your freshman year if you are doing a two-year track.
I think he may be in a situation similar to mine. If you plan on just getting your prerequisites done before pharmacy school (and not going for a degree), then you have a lot less time to take the PCAT. I know for UK's pharmacy program, if you are entering in Fall 2011, then the latest you have to take the PCAT according to them is October 2009, which would fall about a month into your freshman year if you are doing a two-year track.
UK = Kentucky?
I went to their site and it looks like they will accept all prior year scores for entrance. That means you could take any of the tests this calendar year for an application for Fall 2010. If you are applying for Fall 2011, you can take the PCAT as late as October 2010. The site says that you can apply before all transcripts and test scores are sent.
Hope that helps.
I really would advise against taking the PCAT before you have at least completed the first couple of months of Organic I (which implies that you have Gen Chem I, II), Calculus, and Biology I.
Like they say, "It pays to be patient". Don't rush taking the PCAT because a bad score now can affect your better score in the future, depending on the school you will be applying to (some schools average multiple scores instead of picking the better/best). Furthermore, I don't mean to bring your hope down: I took the PCAT in August. I studied for only about two weeks (I'm extremely busy), but it was intensive (studied all kaplan in about 5 days, barron in 1 day, dr collins in 6 days). I found the barron Math very easy, compared to the other materials and the actual PCAT. From the 2 Pearson PCAT practice tests I bought and took, I realized pre-calculus and calculus covers about 45% of the math section. Unfortunately, none of the materials covers precalculus and calculus enough. You may want to get some textbooks, or be as cheap as I was and study from free math tutoring websites. I started taking my prereqs just spring 08 and I'm alomst done. My friend who started with me wanted to take the pcat summer 08. He's happy he listened to my advice and waited till just last june (09) to take it his first time. Even with a GPA close to 4.0, he had about 60% composite. I'm not saying you'll do the same, but just cautioning you that it will be very risky to take it as a freshman.
From what you've told us about you, I would say "wait." But then, you might be some genius whiz kid who's perfectly capable of handling and acing the PCAT, for all we know.Hi,
I've already registered for the test in OCT and JAN.
I'll become a freshman this year, taking BIO CHEM PHYS CALC PSYC.
So far, only classes I took are up to High School except math.
I'm really worried that I might do bad for both PCATs because I may have insufficient classes taken.
I already looked at Barrons book and found Chem kinda hard. But Math was a breeze. I got 3 questions wrong out of the whole book (like 200 questions?)
Is the difficulty in math really that easy? (like barrons?)
Also do you think it's possible to get 85+ in OCT.
Thank you.
However, what I can tell you is that if you're expecting PCAT math to be like Barron's, you're in for a very rude shock. When I was preparing, I also went through the math section in Barron's and missed like 2 or 3 in the entire thing, just like you. Then I took the PCAT, and it was terrible. Barron's math is laughable. In fact, the entire book is laughable and if you're preparing to take the PCAT with little or no prereqs, I suggest you throw the book away and get an MCAT prep book instead. For the math, just go with a calculus textbook. You'll thank me later.
UK = Kentucky?
I went to their site and it looks like they will accept all prior year scores for entrance. That means you could take any of the tests this calendar year for an application for Fall 2010. If you are applying for Fall 2011, you can take the PCAT as late as October 2010. The site says that you can apply before all transcripts and test scores are sent.
Hope that helps.
I really would advise against taking the PCAT before you have at least completed the first couple of months of Organic I (which implies that you have Gen Chem I, II), Calculus, and Biology I.
Yeah, University of Kentucky. That is curious. Perhaps the person whom I spoke to believed I was applying for Fall of 2010 instead of 2011. I will send them an email and try to get it figured out. Thanks for letting me know about the discrepancy, though.
I've finished English I, Gen Chem I and II, Gen Bio II, Calc I, and Physics I. I am in Organic I, Gen Bio I, Physics II, and English II this semester.
As a matter of interest, do you think that will be enough to do decently well if I'm taking it next month?
Yeah, University of Kentucky. That is curious. Perhaps the person whom I spoke to believed I was applying for Fall of 2010 instead of 2011. I will send them an email and try to get it figured out. Thanks for letting me know about the discrepancy, though.
I've finished English I, Gen Chem I and II, Gen Bio II, Calc I, and Physics I. I am in Organic I, Gen Bio I, Physics II, and English II this semester.
As a matter of interest, do you think that will be enough to do decently well if I'm taking it next month?
I think you should do fine, provided you had a very solid college chem class. When I took the PCAT it seemed like there was not much orgo on it, and most of it was nomenclature. Their was definitely A and P in the bio section, so that might hurt you some, but I didn't take those classes before the PCAT and I still did well.
It sounds like you took quite a few post-secondary or AP classes during high school and are starting college almost equivalent to a sophomore. If you have to take the PCAT now (no other option) then there is nothing you can do, just take it. If you can delay it for a year or so then that would definitely be a better choice. Just keep up on your classes and learn the material, you won't have to study for the exam!
I think you should do fine, provided you had a very solid college chem class. When I took the PCAT it seemed like there was not much orgo on it, and most of it was nomenclature. Their was definitely A and P in the bio section, so that might hurt you some, but I didn't take those classes before the PCAT and I still did well.
It sounds like you took quite a few post-secondary or AP classes during high school and are starting college almost equivalent to a sophomore. If you have to take the PCAT now (no other option) then there is nothing you can do, just take it. If you can delay it for a year or so then that would definitely be a better choice. Just keep up on your classes and learn the material, you won't have to study for the exam!
Junior, actually. 😀. My first two years of college I was a math major. The classes I mentioned that I had were only the ones that applied toward Prepharmacy requirements. What A&P should I expect on the PCAT? I got Clifton's Five Practice Tests, but I'm not sure if those are close to the actual PCAT, or way off base.
Junior, actually. 😀. My first two years of college I was a math major. The classes I mentioned that I had were only the ones that applied toward Prepharmacy requirements. What A&P should I expect on the PCAT? I got Clifton's Five Practice Tests, but I'm not sure if those are close to the actual PCAT, or way off base.
I didn't like Clifton's book at all, I used Kaplans mainly
Anything from A&P really is fair game, there's no specific parts to it.
And both times I took it there was a good deal of microbiology (i'd say 20% of the bio section) so there's that to consider as well
Similar threads
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 1K
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 1K