ENT: DO/MD Question?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

bluealiendoctor

Full Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is there a difference in residency as far as DO/MD is concerned? Specifically, does an MD begin with a surgical internship and then continue with ENT? Does a DO do a transitional year first..then begin ENT?
 
Allopathic ENT programs are 5 years integrated, although the first year is considered a modified general surgery internship with ENT tailored rotations and a ENT rotation ranging from 1-3 months. I, for one, had only 3 straight general surgery rotations (months) intern year.
 
Does going DO limit your opportunities as far as location/# of programs go for ENT? I've been reading the advice threads and it seems most people are talking about MD programs. Haven't seen much mention of the DO route.

I can only find residency information for ENT in Missouri, Michigan, and Penn. Are these really the only states w/ DO residency programs?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
couple others i can think of off the top of my head: ohio, new jersey, oklahoma.
my program (DO) we do a surgical internship year then ENT
 
Redsoxdave..........I can understand having a surgical internship year before starting the ENT jazz.........what I don't get is I have a buddy who is DO ENT and his first year has consisted of IM,Peds,ICU, one month of Gen surg, most of these stints being done in Dr.'s offices...not to mention an unbelievably easy year to date (never works more than 50hrs week). Is this what your year is like?
 
that's the Traditional rotating internship that one will have to go through in the 5 states that requires it. However, i know some programs already did away with that, maybe your buddie is at a place where they are just starting to switch over. Supposely starting in 2009 ENT's internship year (in gen surg) will count as traditional rotating internship required by AOA
 
50 hours a week would be like vacation compared to our schedule. the only time i hit an office is while im on the ent service and thats just 2 days a week otherwise its all in house. hmm im curious which program you're talking about. could it be a neighboring program?
 
He's in Michigan....but I don't know what program. The funny thing is how often he calls me and tells me how exhausted he is...after an 8 hour day. 8am to 3:30pm is his average day...every week. Q4 call but only during the months he does surgery..otherwise...every weekend off. Every week he has a day where he goes from 8am-Noon...followed by having the whole weekend off...then he proceeds to tell me how he uses the weekend to catch up on sleep. I don't get it. Being home EVERY day by 4pm and he's exhausted? This guy just doesn't get it. I was complaining about it being difficult to find time to study for Step 3 and he says, 'yeah, I know what you mean'. WTF?