ENT-Peds Couples Match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LakerWildcat

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

MS3 right now and just wondering about what couples matching does to how competitive you are.

My fiance is also a MS3 at a different medical school who's interested in Peds or Med-Peds. Her numbers are above average (Step1 230s) and decent year 1 and 2 grades. However, I think she's really going to shine 3rd year as she definitely is a people person, whereas I am a little more introverted :laugh:.

Myself, I have a 260+ score, top 1/3 or 1/4 of my class with 1 ENT pub and 1 primary author ENT pub on the way.I KNOW that I have to work my butt off 3rd year regardless so that's not something I need answered.

My question is...did anyone here couples match in a similar situation? What strategies do you recommend if you did? Same away rotations? How will my situation affect hers and vice versa.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey man, I think you guys will do great in the match. You look competitive for ENT, and your significant other looks like she will be very competitive to get into any peds program.

I'm not sure how the couples match works, but it seems likely that she would be able to match at any hospital where you match for ENT. Seems like it is mostly up to where you match.

Maybe try posting this in the General Residency Forum, you might have better luck with replies.

Last edited:
Your chances are excellent. My wife and I went through the same process recently and I've talked with other Peds-ENT couples in recent years. PM me if you've got specific questions. Happy to help in whatever way I can.

Members don't see this ad :)
Going through the process now - me in peds, him in ENT. Any advice as to what to do with interviews as I'm already starting to hear back about interviews, but it doesn't seem like ENT hears till November and on! And since I applied to 45+ peds programs...I'm not really sure what to do with all the interviews....any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Going through the process now - me in peds, him in ENT. Any advice as to what to do with interviews as I'm already starting to hear back about interviews, but it doesn't seem like ENT hears till November and on! And since I applied to 45+ peds programs...I'm not really sure what to do with all the interviews....any advice would be greatly appreciated!

If I were you, I would accept all of your interviews, then when your SO gets his, trim down your list with a polite email to each program he is not being interviewed at.

If I were you, I would accept all of your interviews, then when your SO gets his, trim down your list with a polite email to each program he is not being interviewed at.

thanks! yeah, that's my game plan, but if i even get 50% interviews, that's 30 to schedule. gives me a headache! oh dear.

Hey there!
I just came across the topics regarding peds/ent couples match. Can you expand your experience a bit. My girlfriend and i are on the same boat. She wants peds and i want ent. We're both imgs taking step 1 next month. I'm aiming for >240 on it. I have 1 non ENT abstract presented at an AHA Conference. Also had 2 months of electives at UofToronto (1 mo ENT 1 mo Plastics) & 2 months of electives at LECOM Erie (IM and Emerg).
And doing a 1 mo observership at MEEI this december.
I know being an img just makes it uphills but think we should still give it a try... What do you think?
Thank you!

The couples match doesn't really change how we do things. We rank all applicants according to our standards.