Entering Courses into AMCAS from Official Transcript?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DielsAlder

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Some of my courses' names were abbreviated in my official transcript from their full names, probably for the sake of proper formatting on the document. When I am entering the course name into my AMCAS coursework, would I type it exactly as it appears on the transcript (abbreviated), or should I use the full name as it might appear on my syllabus?

Members don't see this ad.

As it appears on the transcript.

Reactions: 1 user
If abbreviating takes away from the title of the course so you can't really tell what the real name is, it is ok to use the full name. As long as AMCAS can match it to you're transcript you're fine. But make sure everything else is exactly the same (course number, credit hours, etc.)

Members don't see this ad :)
From the AMCAS Instruction Manual:
"Enter the exact course name in English and the exact course number as they appear on the official transcript in the designated fields. If the exact course name does not fit, enter a logical abbreviation. This information is critical for AMCAS to verify each course on the official transcript and for the medical school(s) to evaluate your application."

I've searched around for this answer, and what I've gathered is that it doesn't matter if you write out the full name vs abbreviated, as long as it's pretty obvious they are the same course.

Last edited:
I wrote out the full names of the courses, not the often indecipherable abbreviations present on my transcripts. I wanted the med schools to be able to tell what the courses were. AMCAS didn't seem to have a problem verifying my courses (rather, it was my combined degree program that confused the heck out of them).

Reactions: 1 user